[ga] RIAA pirates earn more retribution: An Appeal In the "Harry Potter Lexicon" Case

  • To: Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, IPC <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann legal <jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] RIAA pirates earn more retribution: An Appeal In the "Harry Potter Lexicon" Case
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 23:17:31 -0800

All,

  Well again it seems that ti ire that the RIAA and some of their
members have yet again earned more retribution.  Seems to me
that ICANN would be seeking to get rid of these errant behavioral
disordered bunch along with their constituency the IPC.

  Thanks Ray, for the update...

See:
 http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/ NewYorkCountryLawyer
writes "RDR Books, the would-be publisher of the book version of the
'Harry Potter Lexicon' Web site, has
http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/2008/11/harry-potter-lexicon-decision-appealed.html
filed an appeal from the judge's decision in Warner Bros. Pictures v.
RDR Books, the case involving the Harry Potter Lexicon. The judge, after
a bench trial, issued an injunction and awarded statutory damages of
$6,750 (as we
http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/10/1648245&tid=123
discussed at the time), holding that the Lexicon was not protected by
fair use due to (a) sloppiness in attribution in sections, (b) the
length of some of the quotes, and (c) imitation of J. K. Rowling's
writing style in portions. I recently wrote an
http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/2008/11/my-article-on-fair-use-defense-trial.html
article criticizing the opinion, but doubting that an appeal would be
taken in view of the small damages award. I guess I underestimated the
resolve of the defendants and defendants' lawyers who include the
Stanford Law School Center for Internet and Society."

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827