[ga] Re: Directi suspends 175,547 abusive domains

  • To: Jart Armin <jart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, "twomey@xxxxxxxxx" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Peter Dengate Thrush <barrister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: Directi suspends 175,547 abusive domains
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 18:01:20 -0700

Jart et., al.,

  Good.  And an apt quote as well!  Well done!

  Now if we can only get ICANN's staff and Bod on board
as well as the rest of the registrars on board.  Wishful thinking?
I hope not.  But we all know that the profit motive is a stong one
and that ICANN's incaiatable desire for $$ via fees for registrations
is very difficult to overcome.  This of course is central to what's
wrong with ICANN.

Jart Armin wrote:

> Hi Derek,
>
> Thanks for the note and I also hope this will be an example for other
> registrars. I must admit after the original fallout and resentment
> from the 'Atrivo - Cyber Crime USA' report. Directi have really made
> great efforts to clean up their act via community collaboration.
>
> You may have seen
> http://rbnexploit.blogspot.com/2008/10/rbn-farewell-to-estdomains.html
> - perhaps this is a demonstration of ICANN 'listening' a little more
> attentively to the community?
>
> Of course none of this without the normal criticism of vigilantism or
> accused of being the new Internet police. However, all this does show
> the community can resolve its own problems?
>
> As Eleanor Roosevelt aptly said for all parties involved, "Do what you
> feel in your heart to be right, for you'll be criticized anyway.
> You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
>
> Jart Armin
> Editor & General Dogsbody
> HostExploit.com
>
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 9:35 PM, Derek Smythe <derek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Directi suspends 175,547 abusive domains, while 527,000 abusive domains had
> > their PrivacyProtect.org anonymity revoked.
> >
> > Details:
> > http://hostexploit.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16
> >
> > I congratulate Directi and HostExploit on this initiative. I trust this will
> > set an example for other registrars on how to react where they find their
> > services are being abused to the detriment of other internet users or like.
> >
> > Note this portion of the above:
> >>
> >> In scouring for more such cases however, every emphasis is made on
> >> avoiding any false positives. With this is mind and with the view on
> >> net-neutrality all actions are based upon ACM (Association of Computing
> >> Machinery) http://www.acm.org/about/code-of-ethics e.g.
> >>
> >> *1.2 Avoid harm to others.*
> >>
> >> "Harm" means injury or negative consequences, such as undesirable loss of
> >> information, loss of property, property damage, or unwanted environmental
> >> impacts. This principle prohibits use of computing technology in ways that
> >> result in harm to any of the following: Internet users, and the general
> >> public.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Derek
> > http://www.aa419.org
> >

> --
> Jart Armin
> HostExploit.com

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827