Re: [ga] Re: Will VeriSign be able to engage in tiered pricing for .com soon?

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, GAC Rep <ssene@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, Kieren McCarthy <kieren.mccarthy@xxxxxxxxx>, "twomey@xxxxxxxxx" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Peter Dengate Thrush <barrister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: Will VeriSign be able to engage in tiered pricing for .com soon?
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:42:25 -0700

George and all,

  Good restated point, George.  You might want to pass this
along to DOC/NTIA yourself.  I also agree with your conclusion,
BTW...  Seems that current ICANN staff doesn't even understand
ICANN's own history or already existing policies, OR are ignoring
same for whatever reason...

  And so the sad saga of ICANN continues on....

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Just as a followup, I find it disturbing that the ICANN staff who
> prepared the draft agreements stated that for the existing 2005-2007
> gTLD agreements for Section 7.3:
>
> http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtld-draft-summary-changes-24oct08-en.pdf
>
> "(ICANN?s unsponsored gTLD registry agreements have not included price
> controls.)"
>
> This is demonstrably FALSE, see Section 7.3 of the current .biz, .info
> and .org agreements:
>
> http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agreements/biz/registry-agmt-08dec06.htm
> http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agreements/info/registry-agmt-08dec06.htm
> http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agreements/org/registry-agmt-16jul08.htm
>
> each of which have in place a "Maximum Service Fee" due to the hard
> work of many in the ICANN community.
>
> It's very alarming that such misleading information is being put out by
> ICANN in regards to the description of existing consumer protections
> that exist for registrants. ICANN's registries have managed to create a
> "presumptive renewal" for themselves at the expense of the ICANN
> community who would fare better if registry operations were tendered to
> the lowest bidder. At a minimum, existing domain registrants should
> expect presumptive renewal of their own domains at a constant price, or
> one that reflects a price index of global technology costs (which is
> generally far below that of the Consumer Price Index).
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.kirikos.com/

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827