Re: [ga] FW: NEW gTLDs: Explanatory Memoranda Papers for New GTLDsApplicant Guidebook

  • To: GAC Rep <ssene@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] FW: NEW gTLDs: Explanatory Memoranda Papers for New GTLDsApplicant Guidebook
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:32:46 -0700

Chuck and all,

  Time frame as I understand it is next spring.  Yeah sure anyone
that wants to become a registry for a GTLD and can pony up
$500k or so has a shot but not a sure thing at getting the privilage.
Hardly open and transparent, eh?  Yet another slight of the MOU.

Chuck Crawford wrote:

> So what does this mean for us lay people?  Will anyone that wants a GTLD
> be able to get one?  What is the time frame we are looking at for these
> to become available?
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck Crawford
> http://businessblogs.us
> http://affiliatewebsite.com
> (559) 761-0910
>
> Glen de Saint Géry wrote:
> > [To: council[at]gnso.icann.org; liaison6c[at]gnso.icann.org]
> > [To: ga[at]gnso.icann.org; announce[at]gnso.icann.org]
> > [To: regional-liaisons[at]icann.org]
> >
> > http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-21oct08-en.htm
> >
> > Explanatory Memoranda Papers for New GTLDs Applicant Guidebook

> > In the lead up to ICANN's Cairo public meeting, http://cai.icann.org/ the
> > new generic top-level domain (gTLD) Applicant Guidebook, also called the
> > "draft Request for Proposal (RFP)", will be released for public comment.
> > This document will provide information to applicants wanting to apply for a
> > new gTLD.
> >
> > As previously announced, a series of papers that serve as explanatory
> > memoranda, to assist understanding of the implementation work are also
> > being released and are available now.
> >
> > The Explanatory Memoranda Papers are:
> >
> > Resolving String Contention - a complete lifecycle including String
> > Contention Resolution;
> > Proposed Process for Geographic Names Applications;
> > Update to DNS Stability Paper - additional Technical Criteria Requirements,
> > including Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs);
> > Protection of Rights of Others in New gTLDs.
> > These papers are being posted in English only at this point but will be
> > soon be available in Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish and Russian, as
> > determined by the ICANN Translation Principles [PDF].
> > http://www.icann.org/en/transparency/acct-trans-frameworks-principles-10jan08.pdf
> >
> > An additional Explanatory Memorandum paper, "Cost Considerations of the New
> > gTLDs Program", will be published with the Draft Applicant Guidebook before
> > ICANN's next international meeting in Cairo on November 2, 2008.
> >
> > The papers are available for download at the New gTLD Program webpage.
> > http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtld-program.htm
> > It is important to note that they are in draft form and for discussion
> > only. Potential applicants for new gTLDs should not rely on any of the
> > proposed details of the new gTLD program. The new gTLD program remains
> > subject to further consultation and revision.
> >
> > A public comment period of 45 days will open on the papers and the
> > Applicant guidebook on Friday 24 October, 2008.
> >
> > New GTLDs and the Internet - Openness. Change. Innovation.
> >
> > After years of discussion and thought, new generic top-level domains
> > (gTLDs) are being expanded. They will allow for more innovation, choice and
> > change to a global Internet presently served by only 21 generic top-level
> > domain names.

> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827