[ga] Re: Two more China National TLDs added to the China root and DNSSEC

  • To: Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tld-wg@xxxxxxxxxxx, public@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Re: Two more China National TLDs added to the China root and DNSSEC
  • From: "Joe Baptista" <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 11:55:46 -0400

This is a very significant announcement from the Chinese.  Basically they
are sending ICANN a message.  That message as far as I can tell is called
sending them the "finger".

I'm very pleased with Chinas move into the TLD arena.  As far as countries
go they are the world leaders in IDN TLD deployments in the process of
securing of their national infrastructure.  Essentially a DNS system devoid
of US control.

I would strongly advise other governments to follow the Chinese lead.and
setup their own TLDs and national infrastructure - not only in IDN TLDs but
ASCII TLDs as well.

NOW this move incidentally, to create more China National TLDs - for
Government and Organizations brings up the question.  Would China be willing
to hand over their national infrastructure to the ICANN goons and adopt
DNSSEC?

My initial guess is NO. I would not even be surprised if they have plans in
the works to ban it - just in case the US DOC goes bonkers and does not rule
against DNSSEC in the root.  I don't think China is prepared to hand over
the keys to what they have built to ICANN.

DNSSEC is not a solution - it is a patch on a legacy system long deemed
broken.  The solution is not to hand over the keys to ICANN as DNSSEC would
have us do.  The trick here is to deal with the technical problem, which is
that the UDP protocol that transports the DNS is not secure in the first
place.   We all have known that for years.

Simple solutions exist to fix the problem - from the simple minded DNS over
TCP to the more elegant solution proposed by professor Bernstein known as
DNSCurve.  A solution that provides for an added security measure not
currently deployed in the DNS - the encryption of the DNS protocol.

http://dnscurve.org/

ICANN meetings may start getting interesting again, if not maybe even worth
attending.

regards
joe baptista