Re: [ga] Advertises on whois queries

  • To: Hugo Monteiro <hugo.monteiro@xxxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, GAC Rep <ssene@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Advertises on whois queries
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 18:50:42 -0700

Hugo and all,

  A short proper answer is NO.  But it appears that ICANN
has let this slip or as usual is not doing it's oversight as it should
be doing.

  If I were you, I would just report this incident to the FTC as
spam and to US-CERT.

Hugo Monteiro wrote:

> Is a Registrar supposed to add advertisements/garbage in the whois database?
>
> I was truely surprised when i preformed a whois query on live.com (owned
> by Microsoft) and the reply was the following:
>
> --- snip ---
>
> hm@femme-fatal:~$ whois --verbose live.com
> Connecting to whois.crsnic.net.
>
> Whois Server Version 2.0
>
> Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
> with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
> for detailed information.
>
>    Server Name: LIVE.COM.ZZZZZ.DOWNLOAD.MOVIE.ONLINE.ZML2.COM
>    IP Address: 64.28.187.63
>    Registrar: ESTDOMAINS, INC.
>    Whois Server: whois.estdomains.com
>    Referral URL: http://www.estdomains.com
>
>    Server Name: LIVE.COM.ZZZ.GET.LAID.AT.WWW.SWINGINGCOMMUNITY.COM
>    IP Address: 69.41.185.200
>    Registrar: INNERWISE, INC. D/B/A ITSYOURDOMAIN.COM
>    Whois Server: whois.itsyourdomain.com
>    Referral URL: http://www.itsyourdomain.com
>
>    Server Name: LIVE.COM.ITS-NOT-ROCKET-SCIENCE-MR-RIKY-BLAIKIE.BURTYB.COM
>    IP Address: 209.85.6.100
>    Registrar: ENOM, INC.
>    Whois Server: whois.enom.com
>    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
>
>    Server Name: LIVE.COM.IS.N0T.AS.1337.AS.GULLI.COM
>    IP Address: 80.190.192.39
>    Registrar: EPAG DOMAINSERVICES GMBH
>    Whois Server: whois.enterprice.net
>    Referral URL: http://www.enterprice.net
>
>    Server Name: LIVE.COM.IS.0WN3D.BY.GULLI.COM
>    IP Address: 80.190.192.39
>    Registrar: EPAG DOMAINSERVICES GMBH
>    Whois Server: whois.enterprice.net
>    Referral URL: http://www.enterprice.net
>
>    Server Name: LIVE.COM.COLLEGELEARNER.COM
>    IP Address: 207.46.30.34
>    Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
>    Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
>    Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
>
>    Domain Name: LIVE.COM
>    Registrar: CSC CORPORATE DOMAINS, INC.
>    Whois Server: whois.corporatedomains.com
>    Referral URL: http://http://www.cscprotectsbrands.com/
>    Name Server: NS1.MSFT.NET
>    Name Server: NS2.MSFT.NET
>    Name Server: NS3.MSFT.NET
>    Name Server: NS4.MSFT.NET
>    Name Server: NS5.MSFT.NET
>    Updated Date: 25-sep-2008
>    Creation Date: 28-dec-1994
>    Expiration Date: 27-dec-2017
>
>  >>> Last update of whois database: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 06:19:54 EDT <<<
>
> NOTICE: The expiration date displayed in this record is the date the
> registrar's sponsorship of the domain name registration in the registry is
> currently set to expire. This date does not necessarily reflect the
> expiration
> date of the domain name registrant's agreement with the sponsoring
> registrar.  Users may consult the sponsoring registrar's Whois database to
> view the registrar's reported date of expiration for this registration.
>
> TERMS OF USE: You are not authorized to access or query our Whois
> database through the use of electronic processes that are high-volume and
> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827