Re: [ga] Is this the Wisconsin politician who can stop VeriSign's perpetual price increases?

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, "Sen. Cronyn" <SenateWebmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison <senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Is this the Wisconsin politician who can stop VeriSign's perpetual price increases?
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 01:10:34 -0700

George and all,

  Well, although Herb is a good fellow, it is very doubtful that
congress is going to do anything until after the election, even than
as history has shown, as long as US companies such as Verisign
is increasing its income, and as such indirectly generating more
potential tax revenue which Congress critters can spend, expecting
then to step up without a outrage by members in their districts,
curbing costs to registrants is unlikely.  ICANN made a bad deal
for Registrants with the .COM for redelegation of .NET and .ORG,
and many of us at the time raised concerns regarding that deal vis
a vi the public greater good.  Certainly it was an excellent deal
for ICANN's and Versigns coffers.

  Of course there is an obvious anti trust issue with the "Deal" ICANN
made in what they stated was in the best interests of all stakeholders.
But of course, many of us including several law professors and other
legal minds disagreed on anti trust grounds, amongst others, but big
money trumps principal and often times the letter of the law.  Justice
is unfortunately by the pound, whether we want to believe that or
not.

  Follow the money George, follow the money....  And while your
at it, contact you Senators and congressmen/women and give them
your feelings and why in no uncertain terms.  Do so frequently.  Apply
the heat!  Organize others in your neiborhood to do the same.  Let
your Senators and congressmen/women that they work for you, not
the other way around.  Insist on it!  Then, and only then, is there a chance

in hell in getting the right thing done in this, and other instances or
issues.

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> See:
>
> http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gVL6W3UjbldS3ZNTivfFptpARpOAD933HR680
>
> "In letters to top executives at Verizon Wireless, AT&T Inc., Sprint
> Nextel Corp. and T-Mobile, Wisconsin Democrat Herb Kohl said Tuesday
> that he is concerned that rising text messaging rates reflect
> decreasing competition in the wireless business.
>
> Kohl chairs the Judiciary Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy
> and Consumer Rights.
> Kohl said he was concerned that consumers are paying more than 20 cents
> per message, up from 10 cents in 2005. This increase, he said, "does
> not appear to be justified by rising costs in delivering text
> messages," which are small data files that are inexpensive for carriers
> to transmit."
>
> So, who in Wisconsin (or in Washington) wants to step up?
>
> It's clear ICANN's too busy spending our money to care. Another
> rubberstamp today:
>
> http://www.icann.org/en/registries/rsep/jones-to-hemphill-10sep08.pdf
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.kirikos.com/

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827