[ga] What do ICANN staff do at "work"?? Edit Wikipedia....

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] What do ICANN staff do at "work"?? Edit Wikipedia....
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:52:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

After examining the issue of ICANN compensation in:

I thought to myself, perhaps we need to know what ICANN staff does at
"work." I turned to the Wikiscanner:

http://wikiscanner.virgil.gr/

and searched for "ICANN" which would reveal edits made while not logged
in with a username (i.e. where only IP addresses are logged).

http://wikiscanner.virgil.gr/name2ip.php?orgname=icann&location=

Clicking all the IP address ranges, we find:

http://wikiscanner.virgil.gr/f.php?ip1=192.0.35.0-255&ip2=192.0.39.0-47.255&ip3=202.53.184.0-186.255&ip4=202.53.182.0-183.255

We find our hard earned ICANN taxes going to staff working on articles
about Albania, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=138022750

with such valuable insights like:

Original: No where else will you find such unabashed pro-American
sentiment.

Revised: No where else will you find such unabashed pro-American
sentiment, which was demonstrated when when a friendly Albanian
pickpocket liberated President Bush's watch.

Fixing typos in articles about Australian rock bands:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=124120920

Editing articles about anti-abortion activists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=139226928

And adding "notable alumni" like John Jeffrey to the University of
Dayton:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=122357912
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=122358269

who apparently no one else at Wikipedia currently considers "notable"
:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Dayton#Notable_alumni
(current version!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=University_of_Dayton&oldid=236051801

among other edits.

Of course, the example for staff is set from high above, where ICANN
awards Paul Twomey bonuses for his wonderful "performance." If ICANN's
mission includes protecting domain name registrants, was that bonus for
giving VeriSign perpetual ownership of .com with 7% annual cost
increases for registrants, instead of fighting the SiteFinder lawsuit
which could have led to the removal of VeriSign from its management of
.com? Perhaps the American Cancer Society can learn from the "great"
example set by ICANN, and award their CEO a huge bonus if they help
raise the costs of chemotherapy nationwide to cancer victims 7%
annually on a perpetual basis in exchange for fees to the Society from
chemo companies....

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/