Re: [ga] .INFO cash grab by registry?

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] .INFO cash grab by registry?
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:04:23 -0700

George and all,

  Very good points!  But a rather sad comentary...  >:(  Yet
the humor that clearly indicate is well founded as such managment
technique, which is well known in other self regulated industries
such as the Banking and Securities industry have recently demonstrated
to us all.  And they say their nonsense to congress with a straight face
too!  LOL!  >:)

  Problem here is that is ALL about money and only about Money.
Safeguards or consideration for the Registrants or Users that are not
registrants be damed!  Such is not a working or wokable method, unless
you desire Third World economics and ecommerce to be your system.

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> See their proposal to auction names at:
>
> http://www.icann.org/en/registries/rsep/index.html#2008008
>
> http://www.icann.org/en/registries/rsep/afilias-request-2008008-28aug08.pdf
>
> All I can say is.....it's not a surprise, except that it took them this
> long. lol When one can make more money by simply asking for a contract
> change, which ICANN typically rubberstamps, rather than simply deleting
> the names to make them available to anyone, as per the existing
> contract (or alternatively repeating the sunrise from the existing
> contract), the choice is obvious.
>
> Registry operators....changing the rules in their favour whenever they
> have a chance! That ICANN page will be hilarious if/when there are
> 5,000+ wannabe registry operators, each trying to top each other in
> terms of improving their contracts with ICANN. It's a nice business to
> be in when you are rewarded whenever there's failure -- if your sunrise
> period is a disaster, change the rules to increase your profits. Who
> cares about stable and predictable conditions for registrants?
>
> Unfortunately for these also-ran TLDs that will be diluted by a new set
> of flashy wannabe also-rans, even these auctions won't save them from
> ultimate oblivion.
>
> Advantage: Verisign/PIR, and .com/net/org registrants in the stable,
> predictable and trusted part of the DNS, as other registries circle the
> toilet, vainly trying to squeeze out every last drop of blood from
> their TLDs, before the game is over.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.kirikos.com/

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827