Re: [ga] What are ICANN and VeriSign doing regarding CERT Advisory #800113 / DNS Cache Poisoning?

  • To: "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] What are ICANN and VeriSign doing regarding CERT Advisory #800113 / DNS Cache Poisoning?
  • From: "Joe Baptista" <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 00:15:54 -0400

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 10:46 PM, George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just to followup, ICANN sent out a news release earlier:
>
> http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-06aug08-en.htm
>
> It's a step in the right direction, to help educate folks. However,
> there's no true "fix", as the protocol itself is broken. A move towards
> DNSSEC or other secure DNS would be the only appropriate long-term
> solution.

There is nothing wrong with the protocol.  Its the software thats the
issue.  And this is easy to fix.  I've run some tests and with a little DNS
magic you can make you DNS very secure.

Another big help would be to update your software including any NAT devices.

The whole DNSSEC thing is another red herring in the making.

Also there is nothing ICANN nor anyone else can do about this.  The world is
running a lot of insecure servers.  BIND has always been buggy and true to
form it will continue to be buggy.  Have you any idea how many buggy systems
are out there.  i.e. almost all of them.  Unless of course your running
burnsteins DNS which already fixed this problem a long time ago.

It bother me that people who have no idea what the technical issues are get
so easily baited by this issue.  George - let go the ICANN red herring.  Its
just another smoke screen.

The real issue here is what sort of out reach programs is ICANN involved in
to get people to upgrade and fix their buggy dns servers.  DNSSEC is not
going to save them.

cheers
joe baptista

--