Re: [ga] Report: Registrars & Steroids

  • To: elliot noss <enoss@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Report: Registrars & Steroids
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:05:20 -0700

elliot noss wrote:
the comments are quite instructive here.

On 22-Jul-08, at 6:48 AM, Danny Younger wrote:

Even more shocking is the lack of cooperation from the Registrars that
sponsor these sites. On July 1 we issued joint letters to eight
registrars: Abacus America, DSTR Acquisition VII, Dynadot.com, Everyones
Internet, eNom Inc, EstDomains Inc, GoDaddy/Wild West, and Parava
Networks Inc. In these letters we listed the websites, described the
banned substances offered at each, and detailed how these sites were
violating Internet policy, the Registrar’s own terms of service, and
the law.

Which law? Remember, in some parts of the world things that are banned here in the US are legal. Similarly, some things such as the selling of items reflecting certain events in the 1930s and 1940s in Europe) are not legal in some countries, such as France, but are perfectly legal here in the US.

Context matters.  For example:

Scientology is "cult" in some countries, and thus subject to constraints, but here in the US it is a "religion" and thus quite free to do those things that it does.

In some countries it is unlawful for women to drive an automobile. Would it thus be considered a violation of law everywhere if a website in the US offers to sell automobiles to women? I am sure that many countries with conservative religious views would find European clothing advertisements on websites to be more than merely offensive to their morality.

There are medications that one can buy over the counter in Canada (home of Tucows) but that require a prescription in the US. Would a website offering those medications be "violating Internet policy" and "the law"?

Perhaps if such website consummated a sale in a way that could be said to be within the jurisdictional boundaries of the US then there would be a violation of the law. But what if that website sold to a person who was physically within Canada?

And as far as violating "Internet policy" goes - since when are ICANN's contractual terms, terms that exist merely between the parties who signed the contract and, through the absence of third party beneficiary designations, do not confer rights onto the public, become some sort of global moral standard that binds everyone everywhere?

Why do we continue to insist that ICANN and its contacts be an arm of social and moral policy? What ever happened to the original conception of ICANN as a body that does only and merely *technical* coordination?

                --karl--