Re: [ga] New top-level internet addresses come with $100, 000-plus price tag

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] New top-level internet addresses come with $100, 000-plus price tag
  • From: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 17:54:59 -0700 (PDT)

> In the course of time we will have good new TLDs that will serve
> particular needs.  I, for one, look forward to the possibilities offered
> by a .bank TLD.  These TLDS will add value to the namespace, and they will
> be readily found by those using common search engine applications.  And
> yes, we will still have some remaining vanity TLDs outside of the root
> that almost no one will find that will continue to offer little to the
> broader Internet community.

That is a rosy picture indeed. Personally, I don't see the need for a
.bank TLD as the existing namespace has not hindered online banking
developments in any way, at least not in any way that I can see... Perhaps
you could explain to us all *how* a .bank TLD will add value to the
namespace, except of course to the registry/registrars who will peddle the
TLD?

When Jon Postel stated his opposition to the expansion of the TLD
namespace, it was because he actually had a clear understanding of what he
was about. I think you need to take a look at an interesting article you
may not have run across yet entitled "Vint Cerf Wonders If We Need To
Nationalize the Internet" see:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/06/25/vint-cerf-wonders-if-we-need-to-nationalize-the-internet/

Surely Atlas must be shrugging these days...

Regards,

Sotiris