[ga] Re: [At-Large] ICANN Board Approves Censorship Policy for DomainNames Based on Morality: 2 Board Members Speak Against It]

  • To: Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [At-Large] ICANN Board Approves Censorship Policy for DomainNames Based on Morality: 2 Board Members Speak Against It]
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:49:06 -0700

Bret and all,

  I think what this is all about is the second guessing of DOC/NTIA
after receiving many complaints from citizens to the .XXX gTLD.
Such a gTLD has little to do with hate speech, but may have allot to
do with promoting questionable sexual/personal behavior.

  Lets not forget that the GNSO recommended .XXX to the board,
and the board seemed to be leaning towards approving .XXX.  That got
nixed by DOC/NTIA, and I believe rightly so.

  Next thing you know is that proposals for .GAY or .FAG will be
submitted and than be considered by the GNSO for approval.  I
may be wrong, but my guess is that such proposals whether
gTLD's or IDN gTLD's will be met with significant public displeasure
as well as international political intrigue that ICANN doesn't want
or frankly, need.