Re: [ga] BBC article

  • To: chris@xxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] BBC article
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:34:20 -0700

Chris and all,

  There should never have been any restriction on any string as
a TLD from being created.  There should be restrictions in how
that TLD registry can behave and registrars in how they manage
registrations.  ICANN's only other role is in regards to the use
of Domain Names that act in an abusive manner if what is abusive
is clearly defined and made part of the RAA contracts in a clear
and concise manner.

  This article has some bothersome information provided in quotes
from Mr. Twomey whom seem still rather ignorant as to how the
Internet actually works in regards to the DNS vis vi IP address
translation and how Domain Names can and are now being used
to commit criminal activity largely as a result of lack of oversight
by Registries and ICANN itself.  Domain name hijacking and
reverse Domain Name hijacking as well as "Zombieing" of
domain names for various nefarious purposes are increasing
exponentially largely to poor stuartship by ICANN and the
Registries.

  What also amazed me in a way was the deflection answer Mr. Twomey
gave in regards to the .XXX GTLD.

chris@xxxxxx wrote:

> I like this part; The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and
> Numbers (Icann), which acts as a sort of regulator for the net as well
> as overseeing the domain name system, has been working towards opening
> up net addresses for the last three years.What sort of regulator?
>
> The move could yet be blocked as the independent arbitration panel can
> reject domains based on "morality or public order" grounds.
>
> How will the independent arbitrators be chosen?
>
> While companies will be able to secure domain names based on their
> intellectual property easily, some domain names could become subject
> to contention and a bidding war. Dr Twomey said: "If there is a
> dispute, we will try and get the parties together to work it out. But
> if that fails there will be an auction and the domain will go to the
> highest bidder."
>
> What happened to first-come first-served? Does this mean that current
> tld holders in other roots will have to bid on their own tlds they
> created long before this, in anticipation of this very thing
> happening? Is ICANN lining things up to repeat the dot biz fiasco
> where any company with a lot of money can just steal already owned
> TLDs?
>
> Chris McElroy

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827