Re: [ga] Potential Danger Ahead for Registrants -- dot-info Abusive Domain Use Policy

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Potential Danger Ahead for Registrants -- dot-info Abusive Domain Use Policy
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 18:30:20 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

George and all,

  Glad you swung in George ( of the jungle )!  Must be a banana
shortage amongst other food shortages in your neck of the jungle. >:)

  But more to the point, yes this is rather troubling indeed.
And yes of course, registries like Verisign I am sure are watching
very closely to see how ICANN responds and indeed may respond in kind.
This request seems like a "Post-front-running" scheme to me...

  The real danger is that if approved, and/or practiced by afilias
or other registries for political purposes to suppress speech, I
am rather sure that the courts will need to be involved at some
point to correct abusive registry practices such as this one could
become or used for.

  However there is always an upside to this requests approach to
dealing with abusive Domains, such as those the promote Child
pornography, spam, and those that are frequently used for
phishing purposes.  Such a practice would relieve the ICANN
staff from doing their oversight in this narrow but very
important regard and at the same time send a message to other
yet to be reveled or known abusive domain name registrants
that they need to clean up their act, or face Registry damnation.

  But than again I thought that DMCA and LEA's and the
courts is/are for addressing these abusive Domain name problems?
If now these entities are not adequate as ACTA indicates, and
perhaps the courts dockets are too inundated with filings as well
as US-CERT.gov and IC3.GOV filed complaints are too numerous to
address in a timely manner, than perhaps this request will act
as a potential relief valve?