RE: [ga] Tasting and other errant or illegal registration activity, was: Re: [ga] List Rules

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Tasting and other errant or illegal registration activity, was: Re: [ga] List Rules
  • From: "Debbie Garside" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 22:34:41 +0100

Elizabeth wrote:

is the recent increase of prices by VeriSign related to
> the necessity to face permanent kiting kind-of denial of
> service attacks? Billions fake registrations, billions
> deletes, it all requests for huge databases, robust servers,
> much bigger than the normal data processing.

Good question Elizabeth!

> If the price increase by VeriSign is to cover the kiting,
> then those who generate that volume must pay for their games.
> Not the end registrant.

In a perfect world, I would have to agree.  However, this is the world of
business where the end consumer ultimately always pays one way or another
:-)

I have not had time to read this entire thread or all the documents
thoroughly (due to 40,000 language codes attracting my attention at this
moment in time).

However, somewhere I read a proposal that a Registrar should be limited to
10% domain tasting of their annual purchase amount.  e.g 54,000 domains
purchased entitles 5,400 allowable domain tastes!  Sounds pretty reasonable
to me!  Would certainly cut the problem down to about 1% of what it is at
the moment (according to my recollection).

Is someone putting together a succinct document indicating all the proposals
currently on the table for dealing with this problem?

Kind regards

Debbie