[ga] Domain tasting - window for fraud

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Domain tasting - window for fraud
  • From: Karl Peters - TLDA <tlda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:24:34 -0500

        I had always suspected the real reason for domain tasting until last
week when it was confirmed to me. I registered tldainc.org for the TLDA to use
in its re-organization about a year ago. At that time, several other TLD
versions were available for it, including .com, for 8.99 through my favorite
registry.
        Last week, I got a "special offer" e-mail offering me tldainc.com for a
discounted $295. Naturally, I checked and found that it was indeed then
registered, but this offer was unacceptable since I really just wanted the .org
to begin with. Out of curiosity, i waited a week and checked and sure enough,
it was freely available again for $8.99. The domain tasting was, and is, just a
loop-hole in the law to allow aggressive tricksters to try to con people out of
larger amounts of money for things they took no investment risk into themselves.
        Domain "Tasting " concept has been demonstrated to me now and upon
seeing how it is used, believe it should be done away with!!!

-Karl E. Peters