Re: [ga] Network Solutions Sued For Defrauding Millions

  • To: sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Network Solutions Sued For Defrauding Millions
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:35:57 -0800

Sotiris and all,

  Well it's about time.  Of course I doubt no one on this forum
is all that surprised at this legal action, however those of the
ALAC doubtlessly are given its participants are relatively
new to ICON, it's history, Network solutions history with
ICON and the various shanagans that have occurred over
the past several years.

  BTW, this pretty much points up Karl's original contention that
ICANN has been involved in restraint of trade laws for some time
now, and perhaps this legal action will gain some traction accordingly.

  Two things though about this legal action that I don't quite
understand.  One is how DOC/NTIA was not named in the
suit and two, why DOC/NTIA whom has been aware of
ICANN's activities supposedly, has not taken some action
long before now to curb or reverse some of ICANN's policy
practices, ect.?

sotiris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Looks like the chickens are coming home to roost... one has to wonder, was
> Netsol's little scheme worth it, after all? See article below:
>
> ---
> Network Solutions Sued For Defrauding Millions
> ICANN also named in Class Action
>
> LOS ANGELES, Feb. 25 /PRNewswire/ -- Network Solutions has forced millions
> of people to buy Internet domain names from them instead of cheaper
> competitors through a scheme that's netted the firm millions of dollars, a
> federal class action lawsuit filed today by Kabateck Brown Kellner, LLP
> states. ICANN, whose policies facilitate the scheme, is also named in the
> suit, filed in U.S. District Court, Central District of California.
>
> "Imagine if you asked a car dealer if they had a black convertible and
> were then forced to buy the car from them. Would you get a good deal? Each
> time someone asks Network Solutions about a domain name, the firm creates
> a monopoly for itself, forcing consumers to pay the price they demand,"
> said Brian Kabateck, lead counsel in the class action and Kabateck Brown
> Kellner's Managing Partner.
>
> Whenever someone searches for the availability of a domain name through
> Network Solutions' website, the company immediately registers the name for
> itself, preventing other companies from selling it and forcing consumers
> to pay Network Solutions' expensive fees.
>
> If a consumer were to go to another, cheaper site to register the name,
> they would find the name is "unavailable." Consumers are never informed
> that inquiring as to a name's availability through Network Solutions
> results in the company holding a monopoly on selling that name.
>
> This allows Network Solutions to continue charging substantially higher
> prices for domain name registration. Network Solutions charged $34.99 to
> register the name sought by this suit's lead plaintiff. A competitor would
> have charged $9.99.
>
> Network Solutions' scheme is made possible by ICANN. ICANN allows
> companies that sell domain names to avoid paying registration fees for
> names cancelled within five days. Thus, Network Solutions can defraud
> customers at no cost to itself.
>
> ICANN is aware that Network Solutions is abusing this policy and yet
> continues to facilitate its actions.
>
> ICANN is the international organization, headquartered in Marina Del Rey,
> CA, that regulates domain names and other Internet protocols.
>
> Kabateck Brown Kellner is one of the nation's foremost consumer law firms.
> Its clients have won more than $750 million against Google, Yahoo!,
> Farmer's Insurance, Eli Lilly and others. As a plaintiff's-only firm,
> Kabateck Brown Kellner is always on the consumers' side.
> ---
> Source:
> http://sev.prnewswire.com/computer-electronics/20080225/LAM06125022008-1.html
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Sotiris Sotiropoulos

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 277k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827