RE: [ga] ICANN Board can intervene to stop domain tasting for 1 year

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] ICANN Board can intervene to stop domain tasting for 1 year
  • From: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:45:11 -0500

Jeff:

Thanks for your comments.  The benefit of our measure to our customers
is that it prevents a Front Runner from registering a domain name in
short order after a customer searches for that name on our site.
Tasters and Front Runners register names only at their affiliated
registrars.  They don't come to Network Solutions to register names.
Therefore, our customers are protected against Tasters who may gain
access to domain name search data.

You are correct that our measure - currently - won't protect a customer
against someone searching for a name and then having a friend or another
party coincidentally registering the same name at Network Solutions
prior to the customer returning to purchase the name.  With that said,
we are looking into developing that kind of capability.

Thanks.

Jon