Re: [ga] Re: New Versions of IDNA Protocol Revision Proposals Posted

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: New Versions of IDNA Protocol Revision Proposals Posted
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:19:32 +0100

Hi,

On 27 nov 2007, at 14.59, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 02:26:16PM +0100,
GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 61 lines which said:

An informal expert panel, working as what the IETF calls a "design
team,"

Be aware that it is *not* IETF work, it is just that: three persons
informally gathering to propose things, that's all. It has no official
status, the IDNA standard is still RFC 3490, as before. And there is
no consensus on the proposed changes.

True but it can become 'IETF work' by going through a 4 week last call etc.. when it is finally cooked.

And while this has been a deviation of the normal IETF process, I believe the design team functions under a request of the IAB and/or IESG and the work has been presented at a plenary for initial discussions and was open for comments (made a couple of obnoxious ones myself). Also I understand that the design team has held 'open office hours' during the last IETF.

So, while not a normal IETF product, it is also not quite a normal independent submission.

I think it would be cool to see some substantive discussion on some of the revisions. do people think it will an improvement? will it work?

I can't comment yet, because I have yet to read these latest revisions.

a.