Re: [ga] .et wildcarded]

  • To: General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] .et wildcarded]
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:22:35 -0800

Ross Rader wrote:

When I hear that from the ICANN/IANA root operators, or at least someone close to the community, I'll start to worry about the root zone error traffic.

There have been a pile of reverse (IP address to name) lookups for
RFC1918 (private) address space.

In response IANA did a very good thing - they set up a set of special
servers to deal with those queries.

See http://www.iana.org/faqs/abuse-faq.htm#FAQonBlackholeServers

People who run resolvers should set them up so that they locally answer
in-addr.arpa queries for RFC1918 space.

                --karl--