Re: [ga] Draft Anti-Phishing Best Practices Recommendations for Registrars

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Draft Anti-Phishing Best Practices Recommendations for Registrars
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 12:01:26 -0400

"We launched the service Fraudit, as in Fraud Audit,
for registrars to increase their data accuracy at the
ICANN — at the 2002 ICANN meeting in Shanghai, China.
To our surprise, registrars were somewhat angered to
learn that someone had come up with a solution to the
Whois data accuracy problem.

So you take Rick's commercially motivated (and equally misguided) speech and use that to turn Registrars into the bad guys?

Rick attempted to use the ICANN policy process to push his commercial solution. I think it was justified to tell the vendor to leave his solutions at home when he was making policy proposals. *That* is what we were angry about.

Did you know that every single registration I take is looked at by a human being to eliminate exactly the type of data that Rick is referring to? Why would I support an ICANN policy that forced me to pay Rick to use Rick's product to do what we were doing already? He attempted to hijack the process and got what he deserved.

Get your facts straight. I realize that you don't get to a lot of meetings and have to rely on various transcripts etc. to form your opinions, but you also have to realize that very little of what goes on is reflected in the public record - like it or not.

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services
t. 416.538.5492
c. 416.828.8783
http://www.domaindirect.com

"To solve the problems of today, we must focus on tomorrow."
- Erik Nupponen