Re: [ga] A Windfall for VeriSign?

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A Windfall for VeriSign?
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:16:22 -0700

Danny Younger wrote:
"Since revenue will result from this allocation,
comments regarding the potential uses for this revenue
are also requested."

I agree with you that this statement ought to have been stated as one possible result.

And I wonder whether ICANN's vaunted "staff" has also considered the negatives to ICANN. For example, what happens if o.com gets stuck in ICANN's UDRP or in the twisty-turny maze of registrar/inter-registrar procedures - The name holder might believe that for the money it pays that it deserves more respect and that ICANN is liable for loss of revenues during any outages of o.com. Far fetched, yes, but possible. The kind of thing that staff ought to at least mention.

I am getting a strong feeling that many of us consider this carve-out of short names as being the harbinger of something significant - whether it be the transformation of registrars into peddlers of the low-quality domain name goods, with the Tiffany grade names going through special registry/ICANN sales channels, or whether it be that ICANN will use the proceeds to add to to it's already large size.

                        --karl--