Re: [ga] A Windfall for VeriSign?

  • To: "Michael D. Palage" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] A Windfall for VeriSign?
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 22:36:53 -0400

Michael D. Palage wrote:

Now while on the subject of the DNS being an public resource, I find it
amazing that some participants within the ICANN process will wave this
public resource flag when a registry tries to exploit a business
opportunity, but when it comes to some of the freedoms that some registrars
take with non-renewed or expiring names the public resource analogy does not
apply.

Unfortunately, most people just fail to publicly acknowledges that the
public resource issue only applies when it deals with someone else making a
windfall. However, when it interferes with one's own windfall then public
resource principles need not apply. Just to be clear these comments are not
directed at TUCOWS, both other participants within the ICANN family. I only
raise them within the context of Ross's initial public policy comments.

I'll leave the rest for others to comment on, but I will flatly state that the DNS and the registration is a public resource and it needs to be managed as such. This isn't an analogy, its a statement of fact. One which seems to get ignored by many of the participants in this process, including ICANN itself.

With regards to your specific examples, don't be too amazed. I will continue to advocate that the *entire* resource be managed as a public resource and that we are simply stewards of that resource, regardless of who might stand to profit from any specific opportunities arising from its operation or use.

I have no envy of Verisign's opportunities, nor of any other party. A rising tide floats all boats. Unfortunately, I don't think we're faced with a rising tide. Rather, far too many are intent on sucking the ocean dry. So long as we're faced with ICANN's weak and uneven regulatory policy and institutional bias, I expect this trend will continue.

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services
Tucows Inc.

http://www.domaindirect.com