[ga] Enumeration and qualification of GA Electors and revised election results based on the list of qualified electors

  • To: ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Enumeration and qualification of GA Electors and revised election results based on the list of qualified electors
  • From: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 00:25:02 -0400

The list rules make clear that: "Subscribers must have been members with at least 3 postings to the list, at least 90 days prior to the call for an election."

The term "call for an election" is not defined in the rules. I find this a problem. I assume the call was issued on Sept 6, 2007 by the chair.

It is almost impossible for the list monitor to conduct an enumeration which is required due to limited time available. Although it not specifically mentioned in the list rules - you can't run an election defined by the list rules unless you have a proper enumeration of the electors. This is necessary to qualify them.

I do not control the mailing list files. And as I mentioned doing such an enumeration is a bit of an undertaking. However I wrote a script that uses Thomas Nartens weekly posts to create an enumeration of electors. That list of all potential unqualified electors is available here.

http://www.publicroot.org/GA-Electors/index.html

If we apply the rules. Members with at least 3 posts 90 prior to the call for an election then the cut off date would be June 6, 2007. So if we apply these rules to the above list we get the following list of 24 electors qualified to vote.

http://www.publicroot.org/GA-Electors/GA-elections-sept-6-2007.html

This means I have to revise the election results as follows:

Debbie Garside Vote for Eric Hugh Dierker (disqualified - member less then 90 days from election call)
George Kirikos          Spoiled Ballot
Sotiris Sotiropoulos    Spoiled Ballot
Dominik Filipp           Vote for Eric Hugh Dierker
Eric Hugh Dierker      Vote for Eric Hugh Dierker
Joe Baptista               Vote for Eric Hugh Dierker
David Scott Vote for Eric Hugh Dierker (disqualified - member less then 90 days from election call)

Total votes for Eric Hugh Dierker         3
Total votes disqualified                         2
Total spoiled ballots                             2
Total Votes in this Election                   7

Comments? I appreciate comments. Have the fun of having elections is following the rules and developing proceedure where non existed before.

regards
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista                                www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium

begin:vcard
fn:Joe Baptista
n:Baptista;Joe
org:PublicRoot Consortium
adr:;;963 Ford Street;Peterborough;Ontario;K9J 5V5 ;Canada
email;internet:baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:PublicRoot Representative
tel;fax:+1 (509) 479-0084
tel;cell:+1 (416) 912-6551