RE: [ga] Destroying the Utility of the DNS

  • To: "Danny Younger" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Destroying the Utility of the DNS
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:55:10 -0400

All,

The substance of Danny's post I believe (personally speaking) is on
point.  In fact, after .biz was approved we did receive a letter from
the Bank of International Settlements stating that .biz was a protected
IGO name and therefore ICANN should have retracted its approval of .biz.
See:

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/bank-for-international-settlements-t
o-roberts-22mar01.htm

At that point time, we had discussions with the ICANN General Counsel,
Louis Touton, and drafted a response which is posted here:
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/touton-letter-to-bank-for-internatio
nal-settlements-21may01.htm

I have a hard time reconciling how ICANN staff can issue this legal
opinion letter to the Bank of International Settlements in 2001 and now
draft this "staff report".

Here is the conclusion of the ICANN GC Letter:

"While we appreciate the Bank's desire to formally assert whatever legal
rights it may have, an exclusion of the use of the string "biz" as an
Internet top-level domain is not supported by legal principles and would
be contrary to the global public interest. With respect for the proper
scope of the Bank's rights under Article 6ter, ICANN is proceeding with
the introduction of the .biz top-level domain."

We should continue to follow that precedent here.

Jeffrey J. Neuman, Esq.
Sr. Director, Law, Advanced Services  &

Business Development

NeuStar, Inc.