Re: [ga] Destroying the Utility of the DNS

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Destroying the Utility of the DNS
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 13:39:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

--- Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Attached to this message is a Word document listing
> all the IGO acronyms currently protected under Article
> 6ter of the Paris Convention.  You will note that both
> BIZ and AU are protected acronyms, and that the great
> bulk of the entries are three and four letter
> combinations.

I'm not sure that list is complete, is it? (it was my understanding
that some of those organizations have different acronyms in different
languages, even) And since IGOs can add them at will, there's no real
protection. e.g. OPEC was on the list --- oil cartels like that would
be illegal under US law, yet they'd be entitled, conceivably, to
opec.com?

Or, what's worse is that they can simply rename themselves at will, say
to Coalition of Independent Allies, with an acronym of CIA --- can they
then expropriate CIA.com? Or, Alliance of Oil Mavens, otherwise known
as AOL, and claim AOL.com?

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/