RE: [ga] GAC Closed Sessions

  • To: Kieren McCarthy <kierenmccarthy@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Joe Baptista'" <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] GAC Closed Sessions
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 10:37:17 -0700 (PDT)

Kieren,

The uncompleted Registrar Accreditation Application
Form is here:
http://www.icann.org/registrars/accreditation-application.htm

The completed forms are not published anywhere at the
moment.

The instructions provided with this form state:

"ICANN intends to conduct registrar accreditation in
as open and transparent a manner as feasible. To that
end, ICANN will be free to disclose and use
information submitted in connection with an
application in any manner and to anyone it deems
appropriate. At the same time, however, ICANN
recognizes that to encourage applicants to provide all
documents and information relevant to accreditation
(including selection for the testbed program), it is
appropriate to afford applicants the opportunity to
submit legitimate trade-secret information with a
request for confidential handling by ICANN.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to avoid, or at
least to minimize, requests for confidential treatment
of information submitted in connection with
applications for accreditation.

An applicant wishing to designate application material
for confidential handling must include a separate,
prominent notice to ICANN attached to the front of the
application designating the specific information the
applicant deems confidential, such as answers to
particular questions or specific documents or portions
of documents that should be handled confidentially by
ICANN. The notice must state the restrictions on
disclosure or use that the applicant requests for that
information and explain why the applicant believes
those restrictions are necessary to protect its
legitimate trade secrets."

I am seeking the completed forms minus the material
specifically designated for confidential handling.

For reference, the above instructions are posted here:
 http://www.icann.org/registrars/instructions.htm

My initial concerns are as follows (i can probably
post additional concerns later):

1.  Question letter i in the application asks:  "What
is your capability (or proposal for capability) for
providing SLD holders with continued use of their
domain names in the event you go out of business or
otherwise cease to operate as an ICANN-accredited
registrar of SLDs in the .com, .net, and .org TLDs?"

I wish to compare and contrast the answers provided by
RegisterFly with the answers provided by others.

2.  I wish to have made known the names of registrar
corporate officers so that the public may be better
positioned to determine whether any given officer has
been cited for malfeasance.

3.  I wish to know the corporate addresses provided so
that a determination can be made as to whether certain
registrars are nothing more than shell corporations
that exist only to game the deletes pool and the
upcoming new gTLD landrush cycles.

4.  I'd like to see the answers to question letter e
that asks:  "What is your capability (or proposal for
capability) for providing a reliable and readily
usable daily backup and archive of all SLD holder and
registration data?"

As the current escrow specification (posted at
http://regbits.info/wp-content/uploads/registrar-data-escrow-specifications-crev3.doc)
shows different Frequencies of Incremental Deposits
depending upon transaction volume, it would be nice to
assess if perhaps all registrars should be making
daily deposits regardless of transaction volume.

--- Kieren McCarthy <kierenmccarthy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's an interesting challenge.
>
> Please send me the documents in question if you have
> them to hand and I'll
> have a look.
>
> I imagine what has been redacted is confidential
> business details - and you
> would have to provide some pretty compelling
> arguments to be allowed to
> review them.
>
> But send them to me along with a list of what your
> concerns are and I'll
> take a look.
>

> Kieren

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.