[ga] RE: GA list

  • To: debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "'GA'" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] RE: GA list
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:17:19 -0700 (PDT)

I am happy to extend our dates so as to conform literally to these rules. I am
unhappy to serve without authority.
  1. We need 4 individuals to serve as Secretariat and EOC, or wait does that
"and" mean inclusive, so as the secretariat is embodied in the EOC. These
obviously cannot run for office. We need this small committment.
  2. The addresses will be the list. All public.
  3. Once the EOC is picked, the Chair steps aside regarding the election,
unless otherwise needed.

Debbie Garside <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      Hmmm.... yes it is a bit of a problem.  There doesn't appear to be much
interest in the election of a new Chair so I hope our existing Chair is happy
to serve for another term :-)

  Nevertheless, I think we should really abide by the election mechanism as per
our new list rules which clearly state:

  ----

    The Chair shall be elected for a term of one year and may be re-elected for
a further one year term but must not serve more than 3 terms in succession.
  An election is usually held near the end of the term of office for the chair
of the General Assembly. The exact time is decided by the outgoing Chair.
Before the start of the election, the (outgoing) Chair selects at least 3
people who are not candidates to act as an Election Oversight Committee (EOC)
and Secretariat. The watchdogs agree with the Chair the voting mechanism to be
employed and receive full details of the voting mechanism and oversee all
votes. The names of the EOC and Secretariat are to be made public.
  The election process starts when the GA Secretariat announces that
nominations are open.
  All nominations and endorsements are made public.
  Nominees for the Chair are sent to an email address provided by the
Secretariat.
  The nomination period shall be at least one week.
  ---
  I will volunteer for the EOC if there are no other takers.  Now you just need
two more.
  Best
  Debbie