[ga] It's Time for Paul Twomey to Step Down as CEO of ICANN

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] It's Time for Paul Twomey to Step Down as CEO of ICANN
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 07:18:07 -0700 (PDT)

>From Frank Shilling's Seven Mile blog:

[excerpt]

"I began to reflect on Paul Twomey's tenure as CEO of
ICANN..  Has he done that great a job?  Could the
organization have done just as well without him?
Should we be satisfied with this level of public
service?

Don't get me wrong,  Paul looks and talks the part ..
He has been a fine bureaucrat, but ICANN needs a
leader who can do better than simply react and fill
the vacuum. The organization needs more of a MacArthur
or a Mulholland and less of a Gerald Ford.

I am not a "burning bush" of answers but believe ICANN
can do better. The Internet Corporation for Assigned
Names and Numbers has plenty of capable bureaucrats. I
suggest it's time for Paul Twomey to step down and
allow a fresh face to re-invigorate the organization.
We need less "virtual reality" and healthy dose of
"reality" at ICANN..

Let's start at the top."

http://frankschilling.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/09/its-time-for-pa.html

>From what I recall, Paul has les than a year left on
his contract with another option year outstanding.

As for my view on Paul's performance... hmmm, it seems
to me that things just haven't been getting done at
ICANN unless a calamity comes along that forces the
issue -- the organization always seems to be in a
continuous put-out-the-fire mode.  But should Paul be
blamed for this state of affairs, or should the blame
be shouldered by the ICANN Board?

Ask yourself this question:  What's the point of
having an operational plan if at the end of the year
no one on the Board says, "Hey, what the hell happened
with Project IK -- Review the UDRP for Effectiveness?"

If the Board is failing to hold the Management Branch
accountable, then the bigger problem is with the
Board.  Paul may be a convenient symbol to attack but
a lacklustre inattentive Board is more likely the true
source of the problems.

Got a little couch potato?