RE: [ga] GNSO Council: Taking 21 months to arrive at bad decisions

  • To: "'Nevett, Jonathon'" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Danny Younger'" <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] GNSO Council: Taking 21 months to arrive at bad decisions
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:00:58 -0400

Jon,

I believe I find myself with Danny on this issue, and it should come as
no surprise to you based upon our previous in-depth discussions on this
issue. In fact I specifically raised this point in the recently closed
public forum on new gTLDs, see
http://forum.icann.org/lists/gtldfinalreport-2007/msg00073.html

However, I am a little confused over your claims that allowing
registries to go direct will place consumers at risk. If the registry is
providing domain name registration services either directly or
indirectly to the registrant, ICANN has a direct contractual
relationship with the registry.

To demonstrate how registries can go direct and still protect
registrant's interests, consider the following four gTLDs: .EDU, .GOV,
.MIL and .INT. While these are all legacy gTLDs, they are nonetheless
still gTLDs in which the respective registries value very highly the
interests of their registrants. However, none of these four TLDs uses
registrars. The registry merely deals with the registrant. As I have
previously said, I do believe that at this time the default mechanism
for domain name distribution should be through ICANN accredited
registrars, however, I do believe there are situations in which this
requirement is a burden and impedes competition and innovation.

While some registrars have put forward the compromise of allowing ICANN
accredited registries to own ICANN accredited registrars, I find this
"compromise" rather self serving given that a number of ICANN accredited
registrars are likely to be submitting bids on new gTLDs next year
either directly or through one of their sister companies. Given that
this comprise only raises the cost for a new registry entrant to the
market place that wishes to go direct, I believe this fact goes directly
to the legal concerns raised by Danny.

Obviously if a registry goes direct there is the need for scrutiny to
make sure that a registry does not abuse its position as a sole source
provider. However, as has been demonstrated in the case of .EDU, .GOV,
.MIL and .INT, consumers are not being harmed even though they are I
some cases paying higher per domain name registrant costs than
equivalent registrants in the .COM space.

Just my two cents and I look forward to a rather constructive dialog on
this topic.

Best regards,

Michael