ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow3tf]

Re: [dow3tf] Task Force 3 Preliminary Report

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dow3tf] Task Force 3 Preliminary Report
  • From: "Brian Darville" <BDARVILLE@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 17:44:19 -0400
  • Cc: <dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <crispin@xxxxxxxxx>, <roseman@xxxxxxxxx>, <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ross:

You have misstated the facts somewhat.  Each section of the report had been reviewed by the entire task force.  The Introduction, Summary of Work and Summary of Constituency Positions, and Summary of ICANN's Internic WDPRS Report, which had been previously circulated, were not changed.  The Matters Requiring Further Consideration and Proposed Best Practices were reviewed and voted on by each Representative.  The Comments Provided in Submitting Vote on Best Practices were intended to be verbatim.  The Appendices are the individual constituency statements.

Your statement that the members of the Task Force were not granted the courtesy of reviewing the report before hand is incorrect.  They reviewed each of the sections and they posted the comments included in the comments section.

I have no problem including your Minority Report and would have waited for it had I known you were preparing one.  The only substantive section of the report is the Best Practices Section which all Task Force Members reviewed and voted on.  Their votes are clearly stated in the Report.  The remainder of the report is the Comments representatives provided in submitting their votes or positions (unaltered),  summaries of constituency statements and the Appendices of the Constituencies statements.

I think it makes sense for ICANN to hold off on posting the report.  In the meantime, you can insert your minority report in the appropriate place in the Word document and then repost the complete report with the Registrar's constituency's Minority Report included.

If there are other constituencies who also need to include Minority Positions, I guess we will need clearance from ICANN for a few more days for those constituencies to include that information.

Please do what you need to do to include your constituency's Minority Position and to include any other constituency's Minority Position, if any of them also wishes to submit one. You all will have to handle the word processing, as my assistant is out today.

Please ensure that any other minority reports are included.

Thank you.

Brian Darville

>>> "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx> 05/28/04 05:22PM >>>
On 5/28/2004 4:13 PM Brian Darville noted that:
> Attached is Task Force 3's Preliminary Report.  We look forward to receiving your comments.
>
> Thank you to the Task Force members for their contributions to this preliminary report.

Brian

I am, to say the least, completely and utterly astounded that a report
has been submitted to the secretariat for public comment without
providing the members of the task force with the courtesy of allowing
them to review the report beforehand.

At the very least it would have been nice to rectify some of the basic
factual and grammatical errors that this document contains before we
publish this as a fait d'accompli.

I'm really at a loss here and would like a clear explanation of what
process it is that we are following.

I have spent much time over the last 48 hours preparing what you would
call a "minority report" and at the very least I would appreciate the
opportunity to table it.

	-rwr

"In the modern world the intelligence of public opinion is the one
indispensable condition for social progress."
	- Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926)