ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow3tf]

Re: [dow3tf] TF3

On 5/4/2004 11:06 AM sarah.b.deutsch@xxxxxxxxxxx noted that:

Ross:

The attached are draft comments I gave to Brian just two days ago,  but I
was awaiting additional comments from other BC colleagues.  I did receive
some additional feedback yesterday, which is incorporated in the attached.

  Actually, what I tried to do was to keep as many of your suggested
revisions as possible and attempt to create a middle ground where we can
move forward.   Many of the changes are designed to reassure that the TF
does not require ICANN to mandate any particular steps, but simply to
consider various options.

One important point that I have not had time to add, but which should be
included, is the costs considerations of any particular best practice in
the WHOIS space.

Thank you Sarah - transparency to these proceedings is extremely important and even with the best of intentions, can be hard to come by. I appreciate seeing this earlier draft as it really helps me understand the context of the subsequent revisions and drafts.

I believe that we can achieve the compromise you seek. In fact, let me be explicit about it. The registrar position is quite simple and allows us to move forward with positive results for everyone.

1. There are a lot of effective, but voluntary, programs (ie - the Whois Data Problem Report system - http://wdprs.internic.net) in place today that improve the accuracy of the whois. These need to be made mandatory.

2. Registrars and registrants that don't abide by the terms of their contracts need be dealt with by ICANN and/or the registry operators (and/or registrars where registrants are concerned) as appropriate. To make this more possible, ICANN and the registry operators need to developed graduated sanctions and beef up their enforcement/compliance efforts.

Beyond this, requirements to adopt specific business processes, submit to disclosures of non-compliance or shift the burden of liability from registrants to registrars is completely inappropriate. Registrars will not accept any recommendations of this kind - not only are the legalities of such an imposition questionable, but we must consider the impact that they would have on the competitive environment. For instance, forcing a registrar to adopt automated processes when their entire operation is based on manual processes would probably have the effect of killing that particular registrar. Forcing a wholly automated registrar to adopt manual processes would have a similar effect. If ICANN is serious about promoting a competitive environment, then it must continue to provide a foundation for that competition.

I have included a revision to Brian's last draft that details what I believe creates the basis for this type of a compromise (very similar to the edits that your earlier draft includes with commentary peppered throughout that underlines the motivation for the changes requested from my perspective...)

To your last point, understanding cost implications should be dealt with prior to moving forward with our recommendations. As I understand it, these should have been included with the position statements of the constituencies, but given the lack of uniformity in the responses, I'm not sure that we can expect it. I suppose at this point that noting that there will be costs are about as good as we can do unless there are specific suggestions that would help us be more specific...

--

-rwr

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org