ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[dow3tf] Whois tf 3 teleconf notes/minutes January 21

  • To: "3DOW3tf" <dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dow3tf] Whois tf 3 teleconf notes/minutes January 21
  • From: "GNSO SECRETARIAT" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:00:20 +0100
  • Importance: Normal
  • Reply-to: <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow3tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[To: DOW3tf[at]gnso.icann.org]

Attached please find notes/minutes of the Whois task force 3 teleconference
on January 21.

Please let me know whether there are any changes you would like made.

Thank you very much.

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat
<!--#set var="bartitle" value="WHOIS Task Force 3 minutes"-->
<!--#set var="pagetitle" value="WHOIS Task Force 3 minutes"-->
<!--#set var="21 January 2004" value=""-->
<!--#set var="bgcell" value="#ffffff"-->
<!--#include virtual="/header.shtml"-->
<!--#exec cmd="/usr/bin/perl /etc/gnso/menu.pl 'WHOIS Task Force 3 minutes'"-->
<p align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><b>WHOIS Task Force 
  3 Teleconference January 21, 2004 - Minutes</b></font></p>
<p><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">ATTENDEES:<br>
<p><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">GNSO Constituency representatives:<br>
  </font></b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Intellectual Property 
  Interests Constituency - Brian Darville - Chair:<br>
  Registrars Constituency - Ross Rader<br>
  Intellectual Property Interests Constituency - Terry Clark <br>
  Internet Service Providers and connectivity providers Constituency</font> - 
  <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Greg Ruth</font><br>
  <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) 
  liaisons: - Vittorio Bertola<br>
  <b>ICANN Staff Manager</b>: Barbara Roseman<br>
  </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><b>GNSO Secretariat:</b> Glen 
  de Saint G&eacute;ry <br>
  <b>Absent: </b></font><br>
  <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">gTLD Registries constituency: - Ken 
  Stubbs </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> </font> <br>
  <font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Non Commercial Users constituency 
  - Frannie Wellings<br>
  Intellectual Property Interests Constituency - Kiyoshi Tsuru<br>
  Commercial and Business Users constituency - Sarah Deutsch <br>
  <b>Brian Darville</b> referred to the joint call with the GNSO Chair, Bruce 
  Tonkin, Brain Darville, Jeff Neuman, Barbara Roseman and the GNSO Secretariat 
  where timelines were discussed and February 16 was suggested as the deadline 
  for constituency statements.<br>
  <b>Brian Darville</b> referred to the <a href="http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/dow3tf/msg00051.html";>report</a> 
  from <b>Ross Rader </b>on the data verification practices of Registrar Constituency 
  members and stated that the data collection for milestone 1 was complete.<br>
  With regard to other companies, Verisign was queried as being singled out as 
  the only gTLD Registry to be surveyed, so it was suggested that the registry 
  constituency be asked about data verification. <br>
  <b>Brian Darville </b>suggested<b> Ross Rader</b> compile a list of digital 
  certificate providers and that the task force start contacting specific contacts 
  at the various companies mentioned on the list that was circulated on the <a href="http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/dow3tf/";>mailing 
  list</a>. <br>
  <b>Vittorio Bertola </b>suggested including companies from the Far East, or 
  companies that did not rely on Roman script as well as ISPs from Japan as they 
  might have other specifications for personal data which would complete the data 
  </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">It was agreed that <b>Vittorio 
  Bertola </b>and <b>Terry Clark </b>would attempt to identify such companies 
  and post their findings on the mailing list.<br>
  </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
  <b>Brian Darville </b>referred to the <a href="http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/dow3tf/msg00052.html";>schedule</a> 
  adopted at the joint task force chair and GNSO chair teleconference held on 
  January 15.<br>
  Week of Jan. 20, 2004 ? Request Constituency Statements on TF Work <br>
  Feb. 16, 2004 ? Receive Constituency Statements <br>
  Feb. 25, 2004 ? "Interim Report" reporting "Data" collected <br>
  March 3, 2004 ? Task Force Workshops at Rome Meeting <br>
  April 9, 2004 ? Preliminary Task Force Report <br>
  April 29, 2004 ? Public Comment Period Closes <br>
  May 20, 2004 ? Final Report Due </font></p>
<p><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><b>Barbara Roseman</b> explained 
  that the constituency statements would serve to draft an interim report as a 
  base for discussion at the ICANN Rome meetings. It was not the intention to 
  form policy statements at this stage.<br>
  The public comment period was mandated to be 20 days in the policy development 
  process, but there was some flexibility and constituency statements could be 
  accepted after that period if it were necessary.<br>
  A discussion followed on whether it was the right stage for constituency statements. 
  The policy development process did not make allowance for data gathering and 
  the Whois task force terms of reference specifically required data gathering. 
  It was considered that it would be less productive requesting constituencies 
  to form policy statements on their current knowledge when additional new information 
  would be forthcoming in areas of concern. <br>
  <b>Brian Darville's </b> impressions from the joint call with the GNSO Chair, 
  were that Bruce Tonkin wanted to move on with the process and have the constituencies 
  express their position on the task force terms of reference by mid February, 
  recognizing that the data was not complete but that it would provide some interim 
  report material for the Whois workshop in Rome.<br>
  <b>Barbara Roseman</b> was of the opinion that the call for constituency statements 
  should be as early as possible giving the constituencies enough time and warning 
  to prepare their statements through each individual constituency process, within 
  the timelines of the interim report, workshop in Rome and preliminary task force 
  <b>Barbara Roseman </b>suggested that the due date for constituency statements 
  be March 12, 2004.<br>
  <b>Brain Darville</b> suggested a central point for the collection of data via 
  <b>Ross Rader </b>expressed the concern that the timelines were very aggressive 
  and if there could be some flexibility it would be helpful.<br>
  <b>Brian Darville</b> requested Barbara Roseman to post the drafts calling for 
  the constituency statements on January 21, with the response date February 18, 
  <b>Brabara Roseman</b> proposed sending out call for constituency statements, 
  but if there was approval from the GNSO Council the return date would be extended 
  to March 12<br>
  <b>Ross Rader </b>requested clarification on what information the constituencies 
  were expected to provide at this stage. <br>
  <b>Brian Darville </b>referred to the <a href="http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/tor2.shtml";>milestones</a> 
  and the <a href="http://www.icann.org/gnso/issue-reports/whois-privacy-report-13may03.htm";>issues</a> 
  report as bases for comments:<br>
  - collect information on the current techniques that registrars use to verify 
  that the data collected is correct. <br>
  - collect publicly available information on the techniques used by other online 
  service providers (to verify that data collected is correct) as well as information 
  on the price of services offered by the online service provider.<br>
  - create a best practices document for improving data verification based on 
  the information collected that can be applied on a global basis<br>
  - determine whether any changes are required in the contracts to specify what 
  data verification is necessary at time of collection to improve accuracy<br>
  - determine what verification mechanisms can be used cost effectively to combat 
  the deliberate provision of false information, and determine whether additional 
  mechanisms are necessary to provide traceability of registrants, or provide 
  for more timely responses for misuse of domain names associated with deliberately 
  false information.<br>
  All constituency positions should take into account that when the collected 
  data was available, there could be some changes.</font></p>
<p><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><b>Next 
  1. Request for constituency statements<br>
  2. Vitorrio Bertola to identify companies in the far east <br>
  3. Terry Clark to identify companies in Korea<br>
  4. Request for constituency statements <br>
  5. Ross Rader to identify ISP and digital certificate providers<br>
  </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">6. Brian Darville to circulate 
  version of company list updated with the company mentioned by Ross Rader<br>
  7. Brain Darville to circulate the outcome of the GNSO Council opinion on the 
  extension for constituency statements<br>
  </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">8. Report on the technical 
  aspects of how the data will be collected<br>
  <b>Brian Darville thanked everyone for their presence and participation and 
  ended the call at 17:05 UTC.<br>
  </b> <b>Next call: Wednesday 28 January</b> <b>15:00 UTC, 10:00 EST, 7:00 Los 
  Angeles, 16:00 CET.<br>

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>