ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow2tf]

RE: [dow2tf] Whois tf 2: Draft section 2.4

  • To: "Kathryn Kleiman" <KathrynKL@xxxxxxx>, "GNSO Secretariat" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [dow2tf] Whois tf 2: Draft section 2.4
  • From: "Steve Metalitz" <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:26:03 -0400
  • Sender: owner-dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Kathy.  I attach a revised version of my text which basically
accepts your changes to the bullets (I have re-named them findings
rather than conclusions, though I share your confusion about the
terminology).

Your proposed recommendation I cannot support.  What country's law
dictates to ICANN what it must do if it decides (which it has not
decided) to "reevaluate and determine" "the purpose of the WHOIS
database"?

Regarding your four introductory paragraphs --- we have two options, it
seems to me.  We could provide links to the submissions and responses to
questionnaires, and to the constituency statements,
http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/tf2-survey/ and
respectively, so that the reader could  explore for herself the basis
for our finding that there was no consensus.  This is what I have done
in the attached draft.  Alternatively, I could prepare a one-sided
summary of the submissions that called for preserving and/or expanding
the existing data elements, to supplement the one-sided summary of the
opposing view that you have drafted.  I think the first alternative is
more efficient but if you feel strongly about it I have no problem
pursuing the second alternative.  Please let us know what you think.

In this regard, if the second alternative is chosen, I think the
reference to Buttarelli's presentation is out of place.  While the Rome
meeting agenda was saturated with public events relating to Whois, his
remarks were apparently made in a private meeting, or at least one that
was so poorly publicized that many people with a keen interest in the
topic were not aware of the session until after it had occurred.  In any
case this cannot accurately be described as "the ICANN community in Rome
heard calls."  Of course it would be appropriate to retain the excerpt
from the Art. 29 working party paper, if the second alternative way of
proceeding were chosen.

Steve