ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow2tf]

RE: [dow2tf] Local law recommendations

  • To: "Tom Keller" <tom@xxxxxxxxxx>, <dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [dow2tf] Local law recommendations
  • From: "Steve Metalitz" <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:38:18 -0400
  • Sender: owner-dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In the attached I have tried to combine Tom's and my drafts of these
recommendations.

This retains the structure of Tom's draft:  first, those steps that
should be followed in all cases of conflict with local privacy law, then
the consultation steps which should initiate the process if possible.
Tom's draft draws a distinction between conflicts with existing
regulations and with new regulations, and includes the consultation
steps only in the latter case.  I question whether that 's the best
place to draw the line: the most common example (to the extent that any
of these conflicts becomes common) may be a conflict with existing law
that comes to the attention of the registrar/registry in a situation
other than a formal complaint.  In this circumstance I believe it makes
sense to encourage consultation with ICANN to the extent possible before
a change is made.

I think we are quite close to agreement on this aspect of the report and
hope that these suggestions will be acceptable to Tom and our
colleagues.

Steve