RE: [dow2tf] (Slightly) revised cover letter for registrars
- To: "'Jordyn A. Buchanan'" <jbuchanan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'2DOW2tf'" <dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: RE: [dow2tf] (Slightly) revised cover letter for registrars
- From: Steve Metalitz <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:09:29 -0500
- Sender: owner-dow2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Perhpas I am mistaken, but I thought the "top registrars" approach was going
to be used for the staff on-line survey (for which Barbara sent us
fragmentary results a couple of weeks ago), but that this questionnaire
would go to all registrars.
If I misunderstood, could someone advise more specifically about to whom
this questionnaire will be sent? "Accounting for the better part of the
registrations" is rather ambiguous.
Similarly, the paragraph about forwarding to resellers is too vague and
inconsistent with the discussions we have had in the TF on this topic. See
suggested changes below. (Proposed additions in CAPS, deletions in
[brackets]). We talked about various share figures -- 70%, 80%, 60% -- but
I think we need to give registrars more guidance that we are looking for
information from the resellers mainly responsible for dealing with
registrants of that registrar.
From: Jordyn A. Buchanan [mailto:jbuchanan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 6:41 PM
Subject: [dow2tf] (Slightly) revised cover letter for registrars
The GNSO's WHOIS Task Force #2 is chartered with reviewing the current
ICANN whois policy regarding the collection, disclosure and transmittal
As Registrars are an integral part of the registration process it is
important for the further work of the Task Force to get some more
insight into current Registrar practices. To achieve this goal it was
not to contact the Registrar Constituency as a whole but to gather
only from the Registrars accounting for the better part of the
It would be a great help to the Task Force if you could answer the
questions in regard to your own PRACTICES AS A REGISTRAR. IF YOU OPERATE
THROUGH RESELLERS, PLEASE PROVIDE WHATEVER RELEVANT RESPONSES YOU CAN WITH
REGARD TO THEIR PRACTICES, AND ALSO PLEASE [and if possible a few
practices. If you are unfamiliar with your resellers' practices, we
encourage you to] forward these questions to key resellers RESPONSIBLE FOR
AT LEAST 70 PERCENT OF YOUR RESELLER VOLUME so that they
may respond directly to the Task Force.
Please return your responses to the Task Force no later than February
16. All responses to this questionnaire will be archived and made
public, although e-mail addresses will be
obfuscated in order to limit spam.
1. What mechanisms do you use to inform potential and existing
registrants of the following:
(a) the purposes for which contact data is collected;
(b) the intended recipients or categories of recipients of contact
(c) which contact data are obligatory and which (if any) are
(d) how registrants may access and seek to rectify their contact
2. What mechanisms do you use to obtain consent from registrants for
use of their contact data? Please provide applicable URLs.
3. If you offer registrations through channels other than your website,
how do the mechanisms used to inform registrants of the use of their
contact data, and to gain consent for that usage, differ from those
on the website?
4. What requirements, if any, do you make of your resellers in terms of
informing registrants of the use of their contact data, and gaining
consent for that usage?
5. Do you provide any mechanisms for anonymous domain registrations?
If so, under what conditions, if any, is the registrant's
anonymity lifted, or the anonymous registration canceled?
6. Do you provide any mechanisms to limit the amount of contact data
made publicly available through WHOIS? If so, under what
conditions is access -- if any -- to those data granted which are
collected, but not made publicly available through WHOIS?
7. Describe any accommodations that you have made to comply with local
laws pertaining to the collection or display of contact information.
Please cite the specific laws.