ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow1tf]

RE: [dow1tf] Amendments to Preliminary Report #1

  • To: "'Milton Mueller'" <mueller@xxxxxxx>, harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, dfares@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [dow1tf] Amendments to Preliminary Report #1
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 23:09:03 -0400
  • Sender: owner-dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Milton,

On the call, we changed the paragraph to read:

"Whois TF 1's goal was to balance the concerns and needs of domain name
registrants, legitimate whois data users, registrars and registries.  We
recognize the need to take into account issues of privacy and data
protection, data accuracy, continued flows of data registrant
accountability, and system burdens. We also recognized the need to ensure
that whatever process we developed must not prevent  exchanges of
information needed to make the DNS as a technical system operate smoothly
and efficiently.  In addition, the task force considered the effects of
proposed changes to the Whois service on the ability of groups such as law
enforcement, intellectual property owners, internet service providers, and
consumers to continue to retrieve information necessary to perform their
functions."

The last sentence is taken from the Description of Work.  I am also going to
note that there was disagreement within the group as to whether the new
policies needed to ensure that these latter groups could continue to access
such information.  {FOLLOWED BY A LIST OF WHICH GROUPS FELT WHICH WAY]

How is that?