ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

[dow1tf]

[dow1tf] TR: Statement of interests Task Force 1

  • To: "1DOW1tf" <dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dow1tf] TR: Statement of interests Task Force 1
  • From: "GNSO SECRETARIAT" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:40:56 +0200
  • Cc: "Barbara Roseman" <roseman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow1tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[To: Whois task force 1]

Please find the statements of Interest/ Conflicts for some of the task force
members. It was suggested that they might be included in the final report.
For those who have not yet sent one, please do.

Thank you very much.

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat

WHOIS TASK FORCE 1
STATEMENTS OF INTEREST/CONFLICT

JEFF NEUMAN Task Force Chair
gTLD Registries Constituency representative
All,

My name is Jeff Neuman.  I am the Director of Law and Policy for NeuStar,
Inc. (which owns 90% of NeuLevel and supplies all employees to NeuLevel).
NeuLevel operates the .BIZ generic top-level domain and NeuStar operates the
.US country-code top-level domain.  For both .BIZ and .US we run "thick
registries" and are required to operate both a web-based and port 43 whois
service.  We have millions of hits on our servers each month, many of which
we believe are using whois data purely for marketing purposes, costing our
company a lot of money (both in time, resources and maintenance) to
maintain.  We look forward to devising a way to ease the burdens on our
system.

Jeff

DAVID FARES
Commercial and Business Users Constituency

My name is David Fares, I am Director of Electronic
Commerce and Telecommunications at the United
States Council for International Business (USCIB).
USCIB was active in the negotiations surrounding the
creation of ICANN and is a founding member of the
Business Constituency.  The technical coordination of
the Internet is of critical to all of our members given that
an increasing amount of their business is conducted
over it.  Therefore USCIB remains actively engaged in
ICANN.  Related to WHOIS, USCIB members place
great importance on WHOIS and have identified four
priorities related to it:

1.	Accuracy of Whois Data;
2.	Availability of Whois Data;
3.	Accessibility of Whois Data; and
4.	Limiting the use of Whois Data.

MARILYN CADE: (additional representative)
Commercial and Business Users Constituency

I am employed by AT&T, a global IP networking and communications corporation
that carries IP and voice traffic to all five regions, as the director of
policy and advocacy for Internet and e-commerce. AT&T is both a supplier of
Internet infrastructure and a business user of the unique identifiers
coordinated by ICANN. I am responsible for AT&T's global policy and advocacy
positions in a wide range of issues affecting the Internet, including
security, trademarks and domain names; IP addresses, privacy, content,
liability, spam, Internet governance, VoIP and other efforts to regulate the
Internet. AT&T is a member of the Commercial and Business Users Constituency
of ICANN, and I am one of three elected BC reps to the gNSO Council.  I am
also on the board of the Internet Education Foundation, a co-chair of
GetNetWise, the chair of the Global Public Policy Committee of the ITAA, a
trade association, and the chair of the Positively Broadband Campaign. I
receive no funding or reimbursement for any participation in ICANN and its
activities, other than that provided by my employer.

Marilyn S. Cade
202-457-2106v
202-457-3051f
202-255-7348c
mcade@xxxxxxx

AT&T Law & Government Affairs
1120 20th Street, NW, Suite 1000N
Washington, DC 20036

DAVID MAHER
gTLD Registry constituency

As requested by the WHOIS Task Forces, my interests are:
1. Partner in the law firm, Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal, Chicago IL
2. Chairman, Board of Directors, Public Interest Registry (mgr. of registry
of .org domain)
3. Representing Registry constituency of GNSO on Task Forces 1 and 2.

David W. Maher

ANTONIO HARRIS
Internet Service and Connectivity Providers Constituency
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

This is to state that I am participating in the WHOIS Task
Force 1, representing the ISPCP constituency.

My professional affiliation is the following:
Executive Director of CABASE, a non-profit Internet
Industry Association in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

My activities are in no way directly related to the Registry/Registrar
industry, nor to any handling of WHOIS data.

Regards

Tony Harris
ISPCP Constituency

JOHN WOLFE
Intellectual Property Interests constituency

My participation on Whois Task Force #1 represents the IP constituency
generally, but more specifically the software industry.  As the Manager
of Investigations at the Business Software Alliance, I conduct and
manage numerous software piracy investigations.  Most of these
investigations involve the use of Whois data.

JEREMY BANKS
Intellectual Property Interests constituency

Jeremy Banks is the Internet Anti-Piracy Manager for (IFPI), the trade
association representing the recording industry worldwide.  Managing
IFPI's Internet Anti-Piracy Unit, tasked  with conducting and
coordinating the fight against the violation of the rights of record
companies online, Jeremy takes interest in the use and availability of
WHOIS data.  Jeremy participates in the WHOIS task force #1 representing
the interest of the IP Community.  For more information on IFPI visit
http://www.ifpi.org.

WENDY SELTZER
At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC)

I am an interim member of the At-Large Advisory Committee for the North
American region.   I am a staff atorney with the Electronic Frontier
Foundation, an online civil liberties group, and run the Chilling
Effects Clearinghouse, chillingeffects.org.  I have registered several
domain names in personal and professional capacities.