ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

Re: [dow1-2tf] FW: RFC 3981 on IRIS: The Internet Registry Information Service (IRIS)Core Protocol

The IETF Standard Track is a rather complicated and long lasting
exercise (which is under discussing if I'm correct). Every protocol
has do go through varies iterations before it will be moved from
the status "Internet Draft" to "Draft Standard". Once the protocol
reached this status the develpment has been finished and is waiting
for implementation and a proof of concept. Out of this perspective
you could argue that CRISP already reached a standard level. Please
keep in mind that IDN was only a "Draft Standard" as well as the
the ICANN "regulated" registries started to implement it.

Just my two cents,

tom

Am 07.01.2005 schrieb Thomas Roessler:
> On 2005-01-06 20:35:47 -0500, Jeff Neuman wrote:
>
> > IRIS is officially an Internet Standard with RFC number 3981.
>
> That's not the case.
>
> IRIS has been published as a standards track RFC. This RFC is in the
> entry-level "proposed standard" state, i.e., at the lowest maturity
> level that a "standards track" protocol can have.  The next maturity
> level will be "draft standard" (which requires two independent
> interoperable implementations); only after further experience has
> been gathered with the protocol, CRISP can become a formal Internet
> standard.
>
> Many proposed standards never make it to standard state.
>
> See section 4.1 of <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt> for details
> on the IETF standards process.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.

Gruss,

tom

(__)
(OO)_____
(oo)    /|\     A cow is not entirely full of
  | |--/ | *    milk some of it is hamburger!
  w w w  w