ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

[dow1-2tf] Whois tf1/2 teleconference draft minutes 21 Dec. 2004

  • To: "12DOW" <dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [dow1-2tf] Whois tf1/2 teleconference draft minutes 21 Dec. 2004
  • From: "GNSO SECRETARIAT" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:59:52 +0100
  • Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[To: dow1-2[at]gnso.icann.org]

Please find draft minutes from the Whois task force 1/2 teleconference held
on 21 December 2004.
Please let me know what changes or additions you would like made.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Glen

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat
<!--#set var="bartitle" value="WHOIS Task Forces 1 and 2 teleconference"-->
<!--#set var="pagetitle" value="WHOIS Task Force 1 and 2 teleconference"-->
<!--#set var="pagedate" value="21 December 2004" value=""-->
<!--#set var="bgcell" value="#ffffff"-->
<!--#include virtual="/header.shtml"-->
<!--#exec cmd="/usr/bin/perl /etc/gnso/menu.pl 'WHOIS Task Forces 1
teleconference'"-->
<h4 align="center"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><b>WHOIS Task
Forces
  1 &amp; 2 <br>
  21 December, 2004 - Minutes</b></font></h4>
representatives:<br>
  gTLD Registries constituency: - Jeff</font><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif">
face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
  - </font></b><font face="Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif">Co-Chair</font><b><font face="Arial, Helvetica,
face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
  gTLD Registries constituency - David Maher </font><b><font face="Arial,
  Commercial and Business Users constituency - Marilyn Cade</font><b><font
face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
Interests
  Constituency - Steve Metalitz </font><font face="Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif"><br>
  Intellectual Property Interests Constituency - Niklas Lagergren,<br>
  Non Commercial Users Constituency - Milton Mueller </font> <font face="Arial,
Helvetica, sans-serif"></font><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
  Non Commercial Users Constituency - Kathy Kleiman</font><font face="Arial,
Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
Connectivity
  Providers constituency - Maggie Mansourkia</font><font face="Arial,
Helvetica, sans-serif">
Helvetica, sans-serif">
Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  liaisons - Wendy Seltzer<br>
  <a
href="http://gnso-audio.icann.org/WHOIS-20041214-tf12.mp3";></a></font><font
face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
  (ALAC) liaisons - Thomas Roessler </font></p>
Helvetica, sans-serif">
Glen
  de Saint G&eacute;ry <br>
Jordyn
  Buchanan - Co-Chair - apologies<br>
Helvetica, sans-serif">Internet
  Service and Connectivity Providers constituency: - Antonio
  - apologies<br>
Tim
  Ruiz <br>
representative
  - Amadeu Abril l Abril</font> <font face="Arial, Helvetica,
  Non Commercial Users Constituency - Marc Schneiders </font> <font
face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font><font face="Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif">
Users
  constituency - David Fares</font> -<font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
  aplogies</font><br>
Helvetica, sans-serif">Intellectual
  Property Interests Constituency - Jeremy Banks</font><br>
recording</a><br>
  <a
href="http://gnso.icann.org/meetings/agenda-whoistf-21dec04.htm";>Agenda:</a><br>
  1. Discuss <a
href="%3Cfont%20face=%22Arial,%20Helvetica,%20sans-serif%22%3Ehttp://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/whois-tf-conflict-30nov04.pdf%20";>recommendation</a>

  as revised by ICANN staff <br>
  A Procedure for conflicts, when there are conflicts between a registrar's of
  registry's legal obligations under local privacy laws and their contractual
  obligations to ICANN <br>
  2. Discuss priorities and timelines for tiered access </font></p>
starting
  the meeting with reference to the <a
href="http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/dow1-2tf/msg00183.html";>staff

href="%3Cfont%20face=%22Arial,%20Helvetica,%20sans-serif%22%3Ehttp://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/whois-tf-conflict-30nov04.pdf%20";>recommendations

  on </a>a <a
href="http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/whois-tf-conflict-30nov04.pdf";>Procedure

  The following comments were made: (taken from Barbara Roseman's
notes)</font></p>
  <b>Registries and registrars should of course not enter contracts that would
  be illegal for them to perform.</b><br>
  <b>Paul Stahura</b>: statement is correct, but what about after the agreement
  is signed, and either the agreement changes, or national law changes? What
happens
  then? That is the point of the recommendation.<br>
  <b>Milton Mueller</b>: Staff wants to be the policy maker and there is no
flexibility
  in the terms of the contract. If the bottom-up process decides that
exceptions
  are allowed, then ICANN should follow that decision. <br>
  <b><br>
  Tom Keller</b>: Trying to build a process in the case when legislation comes
  up that makes part of the contract illegal when it wasn't illegal before.
Can't
  make policy for everything, just set guidelines. <br>
  <b><br>
  Jeff Neumann</b>: Agree with all points raised, ICANN is sending message that
  while registries and registrars are bound by bottom-up process, ICANN is not.
  If you live in a country where the national law conflicts with an ICANN
requirement,
  then you basically cannot be an ICANN accredited registry or registrar.
Understand
  that they don't want to introduce loopholes to the contracts, want to be able
  to enforce the contracts, they still need to recognize that this is a
problem.
  Did you really intend to frame it this way? <br>
  <b><br>
  Steve Metalitz</b>: Need to have a dialogue with John Jeffrey and Paul
Verhoef.
  Seems they don't understand what was trying to be achieved. Can't be as black
  and white as if the National law conflicts with the Registrars Accreditation
  Agreement (RAA) that you can't be an accredited registrar. <b>Jeff
Neumann</b>:
  there are some registrars who don't currently comply with the Registrars
Accreditation
  Agreement , what is their status? <br>
  <b>Point 2:<br>
  Fair competition rules dictate that registries and registrars should not be
  able to gain a competitive advantage by choosing to operate from a
jurisdiction
  that has purportedly outlawed compliance with part of the Registrar
Accreditation
  Agreement (RAA). </b><br>
  <b>Milton Mueller</b>: What bothers me here is the word "purportedly". We
stated
  that you had to clearly identify the law involved, not just make the claim
about
  illegality. Did they not understand what we wrote?<br>
  <b>Paul Stahura</b>: Seem to be saying that competition trumps all other
issues.
  <b><br>
  Tom Keller</b>: Should be extended to all registrars in that country, and
then
  it's up to the Board to decide if they want to continue working with those
registrars.
  Trying to force us to determine what the lowest common denominator is, should
  be a process to evaluate different requirements and decide what the lowest
common
  denominator is. Staff should be involved, not council <br>
  <b>Thomas Roessler:</b> Why is it a problem that someone seeks a competitive
  advantage through whatever means. This happens in business all the time.
Apparent
  intent of staff is that local law not be taken into account so that
registrars
  don't get a competitive advantage. <br>
  <b>Jeff Neumann</b>: Does ICANN believe that registrars will move all of
their
  operations to a locale where they can avoid certain restrictions? Even if
they
  open an office in such a jurisdiction, it wouldn't apply to all of their
offices.
  <b>Point 3<br>
  Without careful study, action to address the concerns raised by TF1/2 could
  open loopholes to compliance with the RAA that would hurt data accuracy,
consumer
  Steve Metalitz</b>: Like other parts of this statement, I agree with point 3,
  but it's prefaced with "without careful study" as if we haven't given it
careful
  study. We're reacting, in part, to the condescending tone of the staff
response.
  There's a tone here that implies we haven't given this a lot of thought.<br>
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b>: considerable gap of understanding between us and the
ICANN
  staff. May still be a gap after dialogue, but the dialogue has to take place.
  We may be so much better informed that we revise their thinking. <br>
  <b>Paul Stahura</b>: we need to check to see if they really understand what
  we've written. They may fully understand the issue and have a different
position
  on it than the task force. <br>
  <b>Point 4: <br>
  The recommendation is drafted broadly, and could be read to require ICANN to
  allow violations of the RAA except to preserve stability or security. The
draft
  report appears to give registrars and registries the right to unilaterally
breach
  the RAA, as long as they give notice to ICANN. ICANN would be unable to take
  any reaction to ensure compliance without formal action by the Board of
Directors,
  following a process that includes publishing a report that could contain
privileged
  and confidential legal advice from ICANN's attorneys. </b><br>
  <b>Jeff Neumann</b>: May be a drafting problem in the task force language, so
  perhaps could be better drafted. <br>
  <b>Milton Mueller</b>: This language could be easily fixed if they would work
  with us. <br>
  <b>Jeff Neumann</b>: what about point that they couldn't act without board
approval?
  <b>Milton Mueller</b>: That's fully within our remit to clarify what
everyone's
  roles and responsibilities are; including stating that the General Counsel
should
  act with Board approval. If there are legitimate concerns on the part of the
  staff, the procedure can accommodate them. It's better than saying that if
your
  local law doesn't allow something than you're out, can't be an accredited
registrar.
  <b>Steve Metalitz</b>: Seems like a lack of understanding of what we're
recommending,
  but there was a lot of discussion and disagreement about what the
requirements
  for General Counsel should be, this was a strong point of disagreement and
negotiation
  in the task force. May be able to be clarified through drafting different
language.<br>
  <b>Point 5: <br>
  The recommendation posits specific activities for the ICANN General Counsel's
  office, and prescribes actions to the General Counsel's office which may be
  dealt with more appropriately by policy development, registrar/registry
liaison
  or ICANN's Global Partnerships departments. The specificity of actions
described
  also seems like micro-management of ICANN staff resources in what is supposed
  to be a policy discussion. <br>
  </b><br>
  <b>Jeff Neumann</b>: a little confused by this, first part says that policy
  process shouldn't dictate too many things, but in point 5 they are saying
that
  these issues should go through the policy process. <br>
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b>: we have a big gap in understanding between what
constitutes
  our role, vs. what constitutes the staff role in developing bottom-up policy.
  We probably should invite Council to sit in on the call, implementing policy
  is a different stage then developing policy. <br>
  <b>Jeff Neumann</b>: Does ICANN have to implement consensus policy,
regardless?
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b>: Yes, or they have to send it back to us for more work.
  <b>Milton Mueller</b>: There's a tendency among organizations for staff to
become
  more and more empowered. I don't understand how you can make a policy
effective
  without somehow translating it into a procedure. In the .net situation, we
set
  a policy, and established a procedure. That wasn't micro-management. You have
  to get down to details about what procedures everyone involved follows, you
  have to set a procedure. All staffs want to be autonomous, but if you accept
  the ICANN structure, we're fully within the mandate of the GNSO to set a
procedure.
  <b>Steve Metalitz</b>: This is another point where having the dialogue might
  clarify things. We put General Counsel in this stage because we thought that
  was the right person to do these things, if ICANN staff feels its someone
else,
  then so be it. You have to remember that we started with a more general
procedure
  and got more and more specific. Staff should look at the process of our
discussion
  and see why we arrived at this conclusion. Then determine if they disagree
with
  the recommendation. <br>
  <b><br>
  Point 6: <br>
  In light of the serious concerns meant to be addressed by the recommendation,
  and the issues outlined above with the initially suggested approach, might it
  be preferable to focus GNSO attention on developing improvements to Whois
policies
  that will allow for the broadest possible harmony with local regulations, and
  then continue to leave it up to individual companies to determine whether
they
  can undertake the obligations set forth in ICANN policies and agreements in
  light of local requirements?</b><br>
  <b>Jeff Neumann</b>: This has most of the condescending tone, and is
dismissive
  of our work. But, they may be right that if we found the right lowest common
  denominator for Whois, this may not be an issue <br>
  <b>Milton Mueller</b>: Just recall that we viewed this as low-hanging fruit
  and the need for this would go away if we reformed whois in the way some of
  us want to. But, in the meantime, we need to have something like this. <br>
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b>: In the past we were able to work more closely with ICANN
  staff and get feedback as we were going along. It seems we're at that stage
  now, where we need to do this consultation and figure out how to proceed
given
  everyone's concerns. Let's just go ahead and schedule it. <br>
  <b>Paul Stahura</b>: Maybe if we go ahead with tiered access, we can address
  local concerns through that. Maybe we don't need this policy. <br>
  <b>Jeff Neumann </b>and others: Were under the impression that having Barbara
  involved in the calls meant there was communication between the task force
and
  ICANN staff. Clearly that wasn't the case, and we need to schedule a call
with
  Paul Verhoef. John Jeffrey, and Dan Halloran, or as many of them as we can
get
  in order to discuss the issues.<br>
  <b>Marilyn Cade</b>: Don't need a point-by-point rebuttal, should have a call
  with the Task Force discussing the background of the recommendations, and
have
  them be prepared to discuss the overall issue. Responsibility of the ICANN
staff
  to familiarize themselves with the work of the task force and come to the
discussion
  prepared to address the heart of the issues. <br>
  <b>Jeff Neumann</b>: I'll craft an invite to staff that addresses those
concerns
  for them to be familiar with our prior work. Does anyone have any issues with
  inviting Council to participate in the call? No, so I'll include them in the
  invite. <br>
  I will issue an invite to ICANN staff, GNSO Council for a call. Purpose of
the
  call is to discuss the email that was sent by Paul Verhoef to the task force,
  will ask everyone to review the record of the task force. That the record may
  answer many of their questions, that on the call we'll review where we are,
  how we got there, and then we'll have a discussion. <br>
statements</b><br>
  <b>Jeff Neumann</b> proposed proceeding with a call for constituency
statements
  for <a
href="http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/whois-notification-30nov04.pdf";>recommendations</a>

  relating to improving notification and consent for the use of contact data in
  the Whois system. The aim was to draft a preliminary report and attach the
constituency
  statements.<br>
  <b><br>
  Proposed time line:</b><br>
  submission of constituency statements<br>
timelines
teleconference<br>
  - firm up questions for the open call with CRISP panel on 12 January 2005 <br>
  - follow up on request for meeting with ICANN staff<br>
  - next steps in Tiered Access - extend invitations<br>
Helvetica, sans-serif"><b>Jeff
  Neuman thanked everyone for their presence and participation.<br>