ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

RE: [dow1-2tf] Vote for 2 Drafts to send to GNSO Council

  • To: <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [dow1-2tf] Vote for 2 Drafts to send to GNSO Council
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:13:41 -0500
  • Cc: <stahura@xxxxxxxx>, <dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bruce.tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Paul should speak for himself, but his message simply said he agreed
that ICANN should keep its whole mission in mind when making a
recommendation. He did NOT say he did not support this draft, he did not
propose any specific wording changes, nor did he endorse your proposed
wording changes.

Since your concern seems to be competition, I would call your attention
to the statement in the first paragraph:

"the Task Force recognizes that it is desirable to maintain, insofar as
it is possible, the uniformity of gTLD registrar and registry contracts
to create a level playing field for competition and maintain
predictability for all users of the domain name system."

Let me remind you, again, that this is a DRAFT that will be sent to the
constituencies for comment. This is not a final document. During the
comment period, the registrars, yourself included, can come to an
agreement about what their position is.

--MM

>>> Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx> 11/27/2004 7:44:11 AM >>>
If you actually read my posts, as well as Paul Stahura's, this
rewording does NOT appear to have the support of one of the elected RC
reps to this task force nor the alternative RC rep to this task force.

My suggested change is something to the effect:

The General Counsel shall consider the entirety of its mission and core
values in any such recommendation.

I suspect that anyone who cannot accept that change may have another
agenda not completely on the table. I would request that our elected
reps speak up here so that at the very least this difference of opinion
on this issue is included as a minority view in the report to the GNSO
Council.

Tim