ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

RE: [dow1-2tf] mission creep

  • To: Milton Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [dow1-2tf] mission creep
  • From: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 04:04:45 -0700
  • Cc: dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx, marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

the Task Force that try to define ICANN's mission are appropriate in
the recommendation. It will just cause unnecessary debate down the road
during public comment and implementation phases, as I think the supposed
mis-statement on ICANN's own website demonstrates.</div>
period, would be sufficient (but&nbsp;even that goes without saying
anyway).<BR><BR>Tim</div>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT:
blue 2px solid"><BR>-------- Original Message --------<BR>Subject: RE:
[dow1-2tf] mission creep<BR>From: "Milton Mueller"
&lt;mueller@xxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Date: Thu, November 25, 2004 11:58 pm<BR>To:
tim@xxxxxxxxxxx, marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR>Cc: dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx<BR><BR>As definitions of ICANN's mission,
websites don't matter. Articles of<BR>Incorporation do. <BR>To put it
more colorfully, citing the website is like trying to match a<BR>full
house with a pair of deuces.<BR>--MM<BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; "Tim Ruiz"
&lt;tim@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt; 11/24/04 02:27PM
&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>Milton,<BR><BR>From ICANN's own website:<BR><BR>"As a
private-public partnership, ICANN is dedicated to preserving
the<BR>operational stability of the Internet; to promoting competition;
to<BR>achieving broad representation of global Internet communities; and
to<BR>developing policy appropriate to its mission through
bottom-up,<BR>consensus-based processes."<BR><BR>This gets to the issue
of defining stability and security as I said in<BR>my<BR>earlier
response.<BR><BR>Tim<BR><BR><BR><BR>-----Original Message-----<BR>From:
owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR>[mailto:owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
<BR>On Behalf Of Milton Mueller<BR>Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004
12:58 PM<BR>To: tim@xxxxxxxxxxx; marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <BR>Cc:
dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx <BR>Subject: [dow1-2tf]
mission creep<BR><BR><BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Tim Ruiz
&lt;tim@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt; 11/24/2004 8:51:55 AM
&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>&gt;ICANN's mission involves the security and
stability of the Internet. <BR><BR>I thank Tim for bringing this up. It
indicates a slight error in the<BR>statement that needs to be
corrected.<BR><BR>ICANN's mission is NOT the security and stability of
"the Internet."<BR>It<BR>is to coordinate unique identifiers and to
ensure stable and secure<BR>operation of unique identifier systems.
"Security and stable of unique<BR>identifiers" is not "security and
stability of 'the Internet' as a<BR>whole; the latter is a vast
undertaking that is way beyond the scope<BR>of<BR>ICANN, involving such
things as the operation of ISPs and their<BR>routing<BR>practices,
software installations by the end user, etc.<BR><BR>For that reason, I
would propose the following change in wording on p.<BR>2, step 3, part
iii: replace "the Internet" at the end of the sentence<BR>with
"Internet's unique identifier systems." <BR><BR>This should be
noncontroversial because it simply makes the statement<BR>conform to
ICANN's actuall mission as defined in its bylaws. See
below<BR><BR>=====<BR><BR>FYI, Here is the mission
statement:<BR><BR>"The mission of The Internet Corporation for Assigned
Names and<BR>Numbers<BR>("ICANN") is to coordinate, at the overall
level, the global<BR>Internet's<BR>systems of unique identifiers, and
in particular to ensure the stable<BR>and secure operation of the
Internet's unique identifier systems." <BR><BR>Article 1:<BR>"1.
Coordinates the allocation and assignment of the three sets
of<BR>unique identifiers for the Internet, which are<BR><BR>a. Domain
names (forming a system referred to as "DNS");<BR><BR>b. Internet
protocol ("IP") addresses and autonomous system ("AS")<BR>numbers;
and<BR><BR>c. Protocol port and parameter numbers.<BR><BR>2.
Coordinates the operation and evolution of the DNS root name
server<BR>system.<BR><BR>3. Coordinates policy development reasonably
and appropriately related<BR>to these technical functions."
</BLOCKQUOTE>