ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

RE: [dow1-2tf] Moving forward on "conspicuous notice"?

  • To: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>, <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [dow1-2tf] Moving forward on "conspicuous notice"?
  • From: "Cade,Marilyn S - LGCRP" <mcade@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 00:35:04 -0400
  • Cc: <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>, <tom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As to your question, Milton, there are different reasons why someone wants to
use a domain name, and indeed it is possible that a business, or an NGO, or non
profit might decide to use a name, registered to someone else, but "loaned" to
them as usable space. Some may view that it may not be the best practice unless
the "user" has an agreement/contract in writing, since they will be making an
investment on the content, and counting on maintaining the access to the name
space, however, I would not be surprised to hear about such models.

Tim's posting was informative and I think we would all benefit from hearing
more from him.

However, just on a personal contribution I can make, but Maggie might elaborate
on, many ISPs provide web pages for use by their registrants, without the
registration of a domain name. The AT&T consumer ISP provides several web pages
for use by their subscribers.  Many others do as well.

202-360-1196 c
mcade@xxxxxxx