ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

Re: [dow1-2tf] Expanded "step by step" procedure re conflicts with local law

  • To: "Steven J. Metalitz IIPA" <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dow1-2tf] Expanded "step by step" procedure re conflicts with local law
  • From: Marc Schneiders <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 00:07:17 +0200 (CEST)
  • Cc: Jeff Neuman <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jeff Neuman <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, <dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, at 12:16 [=GMT-0400], Steven J. Metalitz IIPA wrote:

> This procedure assumes continued
> compliance with contractual obligations throughout the process until the
> issue is resolved.

Unless the national law isn't patient enough and will close down
operations of a registrar...

Whois would go out of the air then anyway. Which would not bother me
that much. But the domains might also stop functioning in as far as
the registrar is also involved in the DNS.  That would be a pity. And
not good for the stability of the internet etc.

I think we need provisions for situations where national law isn't
patient enough to wait for the periods specified in the proposal.

ICANN doesn't have an army.