ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives

dow1-2tf

Re: [dow1-2tf] Moving forward on "conspicuous notice"?

  • To: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [dow1-2tf] Moving forward on "conspicuous notice"?
  • From: Marc Schneiders <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:54:26 +0200 (CEST)
  • Cc: <dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-dow1-2tf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, at 14:47 [=GMT+0200], Thomas Roessler wrote:

> At this point, and with the major work item of tiered access still
> before us, I'd suggest this group pragmatically (and on-list!) look
> at ways to increase registrant awareness above the current levels,
> recognizing that we are certainly not going to fix WHOIS' privacy
> problems in dealing with the "conspicuous notice" milestone.

Exactly. There are much more fundamental issues. And they are also
easier to solve. If whois is not going to display any sensitive data
to the world, we may not need a conspicuous notice. If there isn't
going to be a road, you don't need a speed limit.

I feel that the whole topic is somewhat premature.

Why don't we spend our energy on tiered xs first?

Marc Schneiders
NCUC DNSO Council Rep