RE: [council] Motion to initiate PDP to review RPMs

Amr:

Thanks for the feedback. Let me share my personal views, as I have not yet
consulted with BC members on your suggestion.

As you state, " ...staff had suggested three possible approaches to tackling
this PDP. The one that received the most support during the public comment
period has found its way in to the final report and draft charter. This is why
we have the 2-phased approach beginning with a review of the RPMs set up for
the new gTLDs, followed by a review of the UDRP."

So, as you recount, the RPM WG approach that received the most public support
in the comments was a 2-phased review, addressing the new gTLD RPMs first and
then the UDRP.

You now propose that Council, rather than approving a Charter that adopts that
approach, kick the can down the road and leave it to the WG to decide how to
proceed. I have several concerns about approving such an open-ended  Charter on
such a critical question:

·         Are we abdicating our responsibility as Councilors by not taking a
position on how the WG should proceed?

·         Does this undermine the utility of the public comment process if we
fail to adopt the approach that received the most support in it?

·         Would this encourage certain groups to try to “pack” the WG in order
the reverse the approach that won the most public support?

·         Would this start the WG off on the wrong foot by guaranteeing a
potentially divisive debate as it commences its work?

I raise these questions not just as the representative of the BC, which favored
the approach that is now in the draft Charter. I also am the ICA’s
representative on the BC, and ICA would have preferred a UDRP review commencing
in 2011, and is not enthused by the idea that the Charter approach would defer
its initiation until at least next year, if not later. Nonetheless, after
weighing all considerations, ICA submitted a public comment that favored the
draft Charter approach because that is the only one we thought would really
work given where we are.

I discussed this matter at some length with Kathy Kleiman during the NCPH
meeting in LA last week, and I fully understand and respect the views of those
who believe that the UDRP review should come prior to that for the new gTLD
RPMs. Nonetheless, I remain unconvinced.

However, the question before Council is not substantive but procedural – Should
Council take responsibility to decide this question and instruct the WG to
proceed in the manner that received the most public support? Or do we want to
pass the responsibility on to the WG and abide by whatever decision it comes to
after yet more debate?

Best regards,

Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal