ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[council] CCWG - Timeline for Approval by GNSO

  • To: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] CCWG - Timeline for Approval by GNSO
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 00:40:22 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Authentication-results: gnso.icann.org; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;gnso.icann.org; dmarc=none action=none header.from=godaddy.com;
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=secureservernet.onmicrosoft.com; s=selector1-godaddy-com; h=From:To:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version; bh=S06LuraAIlbWbwoJI/nSn7W/d9ilKzRc0MBQyw9Qdt4=; b=tk43NXKOgTb3zI/aeU7J38qo+qQHX5IcJfBHEsIi9pn6wB50EoLkQ7OnTp25eZGkfoHhIDMUkIzlJMyPpP1Y1QNGrb/YWjuiAEu9uKh39y5kbiCLrnSxSo3oyJWijSyFxO5of6MV77AvsWBssO8MHtgDfeFosm4y0tUDYlhvtTI=
  • List-id: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:23
  • Thread-index: AQHRZGTKY/NPZNT1Y0mqwj19UlUXhQ==
  • Thread-topic: CCWG - Timeline for Approval by GNSO

Council Colleagues -

Earlier this week, the CCWG-Accountability Co-Chairs updated the timeline for 
delivery of their Final / Supplemental report, which is now expected to be 
delivered to Chartering Organizations (GNSO) on 18 FEB.

And yesterday, the community received an update from Theresa Swinehart on how 
the Community would deliver the final proposal to the ICANN Board for review, 
approval, and submission to NTIA (attached).  The Board is scheduled to 
complete this task at their Thursday session at ICANN 55 in Marrakesh on 10 MAR.

The period bookended by these two dates - 18 FEB through 10 MAR-represents the 
time frame in which the ICANN Community must review and approve (or reject) the 
CCWG report and recommendations.  In our case, this work includes confirming 
that the pre-requisites established by the CWG-Stewardship have been satisfied 
(see: letter from GNSO Chairs to CWG-Stewardship Chairs, 

It goes without saying that this is a very tight schedule, even if everything 
goes exactly according to plan.  And there are only a few chances for the 
Council to gather, discuss the views of our Stakeholder Groups and 
Constituencies, and ultimately vote on the CCWG report.

To give ourselves the best opportunity to deliver, I propose that we augment 
our meeting schedule between now and the deadline by one or more of these 

(1) Hold a Special Session of the GNSO Council on 29 FEB @ 2100UTC - Our 
procedures require 7 day advance notice to convene an off-calendar meeting of 
the GNSO Council.  This date would be available following our next call and 
delivery of the CCWG report on 18 FEB, and completing this work before 
Marrakesh would be a huge win.  Downside:  This will only allow 11 days for 
SGs/Cs to review & discuss the report, and many of us will be departing for 
Marrakesh shortly thereafter.

(2) Re-purpose some or all of the time on Saturday 4 MAR as a Special Session - 
This is already on everyone's calendar, and would be an excellent time to 
discuss the CCWG and conduct a vote, and would provide another week or so for 
SG/C review.  Downside: We would need to sacrifice some portion of our "usual" 
Saturday agenda.  For example, we could ask for Working Group updates via 
email, rather than in person.

(3)  Re-purpose some or all of the time on Tuesday, 8 MAR as  a Special Session 
- This meeting is also already on the calendar.  Typically it has been an 
informal discussion among the Council to prepare for the Wednesday Public 
Meeting, so we would sacrifice some or all of that.  And with another meeting 
the next day, there wouldn't be much time to work out any last minute issues.

Regardless of which option(s) we choose, we must consider the Public Meeting on 
9 MAR as a can't-miss deadline for our approval (or reaction) of the CCWG. 
Also, we should look for opportunities to parallelize work streams, for 
example, by initiating the SG/C processes to review the CCWG as soon as 

This is what I propose for discussion on our next call.  There may be other 
options as well, so please bring your ideas next Thursday.

Thanks for reading this far, and looking forward to our time together next week.


Attachment: Draft-Transition-Timeline-MarSubmission-2[1].pdf
Description: Draft-Transition-Timeline-MarSubmission-2[1].pdf

Attachment: Feb-Mar-Submission[1].pdf
Description: Feb-Mar-Submission[1].pdf

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>