From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of McGrady, Paul D.
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2015 6:15 PM
To: Marika Konings
Cc: Council; thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [council] RE: [CCWG-ACCT] Timeline and next steps (updated)

All,

The IPC would like to join the chorus of folks who are pointing out the
unrealistic timeframe of this usually short comment period and a GNSO call on
the subject which occurs before the comment period closes.  Since the IPC and
its member organizations are composed primarily of volunteers, the volume of
the latest proposal is significant, and the issues are complex, we doubt we
will have our comment in before the end of the rushed comment period.  We also
do not think that the GNSO Council will likely be in a position to opine on the
proposal, other than perhaps to compile anecdotal data about how the community
is reacting to the latest draft.

I personally believe that we should push ICANN for more time for a realistic
comment period in line with the magnitude of this proposal.  For example, the
New gTLD Program Implementation Review Draft Report was given 76 days and this
seems at least  - or a whole lot more! - important than that.  The Council
should also be given time to digest those comments prior to opining.  I don't
think that ICANN is doing any favors by compressing these timeframes,
especially during the holidays.

We will, of course, all work as hard and as fast as we can, but the idea of
having anything close to final by our December Council call just isn't
realistic.

Best,
Paul