[council] IETF issues relevant to the GNSO

  • To: "<council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] IETF issues relevant to the GNSO
  • From: David Cake <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 16:32:53 +0100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

        A couple of council meetings I undertook to keep council up to date on
some issues relevant to the GNSO happening within the IETF DNSOP working group.
        As described in a previous update to council, a recent RFC has placed
the .onion TLD on the Special Use Names registry, which is a list of TLD names
(maintained by IANA) that the IETF has recommended to be retained for special
uses, and therefore should not be delegated by ICANN. While this RFC did go
through, it was controversial and there are several other names that have in
the past been proposed for the Special Use Names that may still be proposed
again.
        There is now a suggestion that the RFC 6761 process for reserving
Special Use Names needs some work, and the DNSOP group is working on how to do
this. Currently a small  design group has been formed.
        How the RFC 6761 Special Use Names interacts with ICANN (and by
implication, the GNSO, as such names are generally gTLDs) is expected to be
clarified by these efforts, and I think it is important that we maintain aware
of that process, and that documents produced are reviewed with a focus on
GNSO/ICANN processes. I will endeavour to do so, and I will keep the GNSO
Council informed.

        David